Extend an existing network

Discussions for BiPAC Homplug products: P106N, P106R2, 2073N, 2074..etc
wongasnail

Extend an existing network

Post by wongasnail »

Hi Guys, new to homeplug installation and cannot make head or tail of the manual.

I have suceeded in creating a new secure network through the cables but i wanted to do was mererly extend the range of my billion 7800N modem router.

We have dead spots in the house and I though by connecting the BIPAC 2073 R2 to the 7800N and plugging in the BIPAC 2073N further away, i could generate a larger wireless field.

I would like one wireless network in the house, not two. It works and i can now plug in the Xbox360 for a more reliable connection but the laptops have two networks to choose now.

Can anyone point out where i'm going wrong?

Cheers
billion_fan

Re: Extend an existing network

Post by billion_fan »

Hi wongasnail

Try and change the ESSID of the Bipac 7800N to same network name set to the 2073N.

So both ESSID match.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Also forgot to mention you need to match the security type and password.
wongasnail

Post by wongasnail »

so set up homeplug system and then change main modem to match - won't i lose connection for all devices on network?

is there a way of changing the SSID on the 2073 to the main network name?

a long CAT6 cable from the main modem is looking increasing attractive!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Hi

Yes you can change the ESSID (wireless network name) on the 2073N.

Please use the following link to download the Bipac 2073N wireless utility, that will let you change the ESSID and security type.

Or you can do it manually by logging onto http://192.168.1.253 (make sure you are on the same IP range) and then once logged in using the username 'admin' and password 'admin' you can make the changes you need on the left hand side under 'Wireless >> Basic'

The network will still be shared as the homeplugs work as a bridge, and the IP address assigned to a connecting device is from your router. So you will be on the same network as all other devices connected to the router.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks
wongasnail

Post by wongasnail »

yes worked a treat - thanks

perhaps the manual needs a section for those wanting to extend a non- homeplug network

;)