Connecting an external aerial to a 2073N

Discussions for BiPAC Homplug products: P106N, P106R2, 2073N, 2074..etc
greasemonkey

Connecting an external aerial to a 2073N

Post by greasemonkey »

I have an extensive Wifi network at home. The outbuildings connect to the farmhouse network through an old 54g-to-85Meg homeplug-alike, with an external aerial. That is currently linked to a2073N with an ethernet cable, to allow it to connect to the router.

Is there any way I can connect the external aerial directly to the 2073N (e.g. remove one of the existing pigtails) and cut out the middleman?
billion_fan

Re: Connecting an external aerial to a 2073N

Post by billion_fan »

You cannot remove the antennas on the Bipac 2073N, if you open the device it will void your warranty. (we would never recommend opening the device, as the unit connects directly to the mains electrical circuit)

From my understanding the antenna are fixed to the unit, and the PCB board inside the unit has on-board wireless module, so the pig tails connectors will be soldered directly to the PCB board.

Do you any software with your current homeplug devices? Maybe you can try and enter the password found on the 2073N in your current homeplug software to see if it will link up and talk to your existing homeplugs (so there will be no need to have a ethernet cable running to the Bipac 2073N)

Another option will be to use the Bipac 2073N, as just a AP, so you can have a wireless connection from the 2073N to your router. You can configure the 2073N in WDS mode, or AP Client mode (AP Client mode is the easier of the two options)

I hope this helps :D
greasemonkey

Re: Connecting an external aerial to a 2073N

Post by greasemonkey »

Hi billion_fan.
Thanks for your reply. It confirms what I had assumed from my own observation. My next step will be to find another brand of unit like the 2073N that is compatible with the Homeplug 200 std used bythe other Billion devices I've got plugged in, and which will take an external aerial...

Thanks again.