TalkTalk Fibre Customers - Setting up Billion 8800AXL

Discussions about ISPs, e.g. setting
Chipstix

TalkTalk Fibre Customers - Setting up Billion 8800AXL

Post by Chipstix »

And life after the awful, diabolical, dreadful, hopeless Huawei HG635 "super"router!

After dozens of phonecalls and months of months of headaches I've finally given up on the TalkTalk supplied SuperRouter for my FibreMedium package. I'm in a contract, and living in a village TalkTalk is really the only option. I have been with them as a loyal customer for over 10 years!!!)

I've just now ordered a Billion 8800AXL after good reviews and from the forum I can see excellent customer service. One white box in, one black box out.

I started this thread in anticipation in case there are recommended settings, or set-up process, or ready for either helping me getting it working or otherwise recording the best approach for others that may be considering going down this route.

I have only a basic knowledge or wireless networking and modem/router set-up but am hopefully a fast learner! I'm willing to put the time in to get things set-up and ripping along, as long as it all stays fast and reliable....

My set-up

Connected to recently fitted and tested master socket. I am quite close to the exchange so in theory up to 76MB connection but 38MB on the Fibre Medium package that I have.

VDSL Modem/Router connected via ethernet to Apple TV.
On wireless network: Airport Express, 2006 iMac (802.11n), 2012 MacBook Air (802.11n), 2014 iMac (802.11ac), 2* iPhone 6s (802.11ac), 1*iPhone 5 (n), 1*iPhone 4s (n), iPad Mini (n), regularly work Windows Laptops running window's 7, Nest Thermostat

TalkTalk are working on a major slow-down during peak times (as least they've acknowledged this and say they are working on it), but I have been plagued with slow, flakey connection that often drops or hangs, or no response and have to restart router, and odd messages like "this IP address is already in use" that I never had before this super router.

Will report back when I start setting up.

If you have recommendations for how best to do this, or the configuration please let me know

Thank in advance, Chipstix.
billion_fan

Re: TalkTalk Fibre Customers - Setting up Billion 8800AXL

Post by billion_fan »

Chipstix wrote:And life after the awful, diabolical, dreadful, hopeless Huawei HG635 "super"router!

After dozens of phonecalls and months of months of headaches I've finally given up on the TalkTalk supplied SuperRouter for my FibreMedium package. I'm in a contract, and living in a village TalkTalk is really the only option. I have been with them as a loyal customer for over 10 years!!!)

I've just now ordered a Billion 8800AXL after good reviews and from the forum I can see excellent customer service. One white box in, one black box out.

I started this thread in anticipation in case there are recommended settings, or set-up process, or ready for either helping me getting it working or otherwise recording the best approach for others that may be considering going down this route.

I have only a basic knowledge or wireless networking and modem/router set-up but am hopefully a fast learner! I'm willing to put the time in to get things set-up and ripping along, as long as it all stays fast and reliable....

My set-up

Connected to recently fitted and tested master socket. I am quite close to the exchange so in theory up to 76MB connection but 38MB on the Fibre Medium package that I have.

VDSL Modem/Router connected via ethernet to Apple TV.
On wireless network: Airport Express, 2006 iMac (802.11n), 2012 MacBook Air (802.11n), 2014 iMac (802.11ac), 2* iPhone 6s (802.11ac), 1*iPhone 5 (n), 1*iPhone 4s (n), iPad Mini (n), regularly work Windows Laptops running window's 7, Nest Thermostat

TalkTalk are working on a major slow-down during peak times (as least they've acknowledged this and say they are working on it), but I have been plagued with slow, flakey connection that often drops or hangs, or no response and have to restart router, and odd messages like "this IP address is already in use" that I never had before this super router.

Will report back when I start setting up.

If you have recommendations for how best to do this, or the configuration please let me know

Thank in advance, Chipstix.

For a talktalk setup you need to follow the steps below

1. Reset the unit
2. Login to the device on http://192.168.1.254
3. Click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service'
4. Click on the 'Edit' button for the PTM/PPPOE interface
5. Change the 'Type' to 'IP Over Ethernet'
6. Ensure the '802.1P Priority' is set to '0' and the '802.1Q VLAN ID' is set to '101'
7. Click on 'Apply'
8. Click on 'Status >> WAN'
9. Check to see if you have a IPv4 address listed for your WAN interface (IPOE)

The proceed to setup the rest of the network eg wireless settings etc
Chipstix

Post by Chipstix »

Help!

My 8800AXL router settings seem to have been doing some strange things recently. I had a 2.4GHz network and a 5GHz network. Recently the 5GHz network disappeared. Just by going into the router page I somehow reinstated it.

Now, got home tonight and all my connected devices are offline. No internet via ethernet or wireless.

I am on TalkTalk Fibre broadband.

I couldn't make it work by restarting the router, so I decided to look for latest firmware. I installed firmware from Feb 2017.

This has wiped all my settings.

I am now connected to the Wireless network (2.4GHz only) but it does not seem to be connected to TalkTalk.

I've tried these steps (although admitedly only over wireless)
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Bro ... -p/1324129

No joy.

Currently connecting via my Three network hotspot.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Chipstix wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:35 pm Help!

My 8800AXL router settings seem to have been doing some strange things recently. I had a 2.4GHz network and a 5GHz network. Recently the 5GHz network disappeared. Just by going into the router page I somehow reinstated it.

Now, got home tonight and all my connected devices are offline. No internet via ethernet or wireless.

I am on TalkTalk Fibre broadband.

I couldn't make it work by restarting the router, so I decided to look for latest firmware. I installed firmware from Feb 2017.

This has wiped all my settings.

I am now connected to the Wireless network (2.4GHz only) but it does not seem to be connected to TalkTalk.

I've tried these steps (although admitedly only over wireless)
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Bro ... -p/1324129

No joy.

Currently connecting via my Three network hotspot.
The link you posted is for ADSL and not fibre, the steps below are for Talktalk fibre.

1. Reset the unit
2. Login to the device on http://192.168.1.254
3. Click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service'
4. Click on the 'Edit' button for the PTM/PPPOE interface
5. Change the 'Type' to 'IP Over Ethernet'
6. Ensure the '802.1P Priority' is set to '0' and the '802.1Q VLAN ID' is set to '101'
7. Click on 'Apply'
8. Click on 'Status >> WAN'
9. Check to see if you have a IPv4 address listed for your WAN interface (IPOE)
johnnygogo

Post by johnnygogo »

Hi billion_fan

I have just purchased the 8900AX, and have followed your instructions for setting up my TalkTalk Fibre.

I've tried it a couple of times, but I am not getting an IP address, and the Status shows "Unconfigured".

Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

johnnygogo wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:29 pm Hi billion_fan

I have just purchased the 8900AX, and have followed your instructions for setting up my TalkTalk Fibre.

I've tried it a couple of times, but I am not getting an IP address, and the Status shows "Unconfigured".

It looks like you have a sync issue, as under 'Status >> WAN' both interfaces are showing as 'Unconfigured' is the DSL light on the front of the router on or flashing??
johnnygogo

Post by johnnygogo »

billion_fan wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:54 pm
johnnygogo wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:29 pm Hi billion_fan

It looks like you have a sync issue, as under 'Status >> WAN' both interfaces are showing as 'Unconfigured' is the DSL light on the front of the router on or flashing??
The light wasn't on at all. I tried a soft reset and then a hard reset as suggested elsewhere on the forum, but it still wouldn't come on. Looks like i had a faulty unit as the replacement I got is now working perfectly with your config.

Thanks alot :)