Can I used a second Bipac 7800n as wireless extender?

billion_fan

Re: Can I used a second Bipac 7800n as wireless extender?

Post by billion_fan »

acampbell wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:23 am I have 2 Bipac 7899n routers, one being a space. The wireless signal upstairs is weak/nonexistent.

I'm thinking about buying a wireless extender but is it possible to use the second router for this purpose (wireless bridge I think is the term)?

If so, how? Could it be done via a homeplug connection (I have several of these in different rooms)?

Yes you can do this with the homeplug connection.

1. Change the IP address to so they don't clash (eg 7800N 1 (Main Router) - 192.168.1.254, 7800N2 (extender) - 192.168.1.253) (Advanced >> Configuration >> LAN)
2. On the 7800N2, disable the DHCP, and setup the wireless (you can disable the DHCP under 'Advanced >> Configuration >> LAN >> DHCP Server, set the 'DHCP Server Mode' to 'Disable' and Apply
3. Plug a Ethernet connection from a homeplug to any of the LAN ports on 7800N 2
4. Restart any devices connected to 7800N 2
acampbell

Post by acampbell »

Thanks very much for your help. I've been successful up to a point: 7800N2 works in that I get a wired connection to it, but not the wireless. Should I be using a different ssid and password for this router? It's currently the same on both.

Possibly there is a problem with the script I use to connect, the last line of which is "dbcp", which of course is turned off on this router.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

acampbell wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:23 pm Thanks very much for your help. I've been successful up to a point: 7800N2 works in that I get a wired connection to it, but not the wireless. Should I be using a different ssid and password for this router? It's currently the same on both.

Possibly there is a problem with the script I use to connect, the last line of which is "dbcp", which of course is turned off on this router.
I would suggest changing the SSID and see if you are able to connect/see the wireless network
acampbell

Post by acampbell »

Yes, changing the SSID made the wireless work. (I also changed the channel, which may have helped too.) Many thanks again for your help.