IPv6 Firewall settings

PlanetX

IPv6 Firewall settings

Post by PlanetX »

I have been using the 7800 very successfully for some years now with a home mail server on my fixed IPv4 address with NAT to my server.

I now additionally have IPv6 access and a /64 block of addresses all of my own!
NAT no longer required of course on IPv6 but how do I allow incoming traffic for port 80 (for my web-mail) and all the other usual ports for the mail server? I assume all incoming traffic is blocked by default?

I have already set-up an AAAA record for the mail server's fixed IPv6 address (just 1 of the 2^64 addresses I have at my disposal).

Anyone can walk me through the firewall set-up? I want to still retain the IPv4 access as well.
billion_fan

Re: IPv6 Firewall settings

Post by billion_fan »

PlanetX wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:23 pm I have been using the 7800 very successfully for some years now with a home mail server on my fixed IPv4 address with NAT to my server.

NAT no longer required of course on IPv6 but how do I allow incoming traffic for port 80 (for my web-mail) and all the other usual ports for the mail server? I assume all incoming traffic is blocked by default?

I have already set-up an AAAA record for the mail server's fixed IPv6 address (just 1 of the 2^64 addresses I have at my disposal).

Anyone can walk me through the firewall set-up? I want to still retain the IPv4 access as well.
Can you confirm the full firmware version and model (we have a range of 7800 models)
PlanetX

Post by PlanetX »

From the information page:
Model: BIPAC 7800
Hardware: ANNEX A
Software: 1.06g

This is the model without built-in WiFi.

Thanks!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

PlanetX wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:12 am From the information page:
Model: BIPAC 7800
Hardware: ANNEX A
Software: 1.06g

This is the model without built-in WiFi.

Thanks!

Try using the 'Firewall >> Packet Filter' to open port 80 to your IPv6 address (you can change the 'IP Version' to IPv6 and add a rule just like a IPv4 rule)
WilsonHin

Post by WilsonHin »

PlanetX wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:23 pm I have been happy with these fat burners for belly fat and using the 7800 very successfully for some years now with a home mail server on my fixed IPv4 address with NAT to my server.

Is this 100% secure, by the way?
Last edited by WilsonHin on Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

WilsonHin wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:05 pm Is this 100% secure, by the way?
When you open a port to outside world its never going to be 100% secure,