Use 7800 N As Extender

honkin

Use 7800 N As Extender

Post by honkin »

hi

I haven't used my old Billion 7800N for a while, but am wondering about using it to extend the wifi network of our new house, as some areas do not get very good signal. I will not be able to use an ethernet cable for the connection between Billion and existing router, so have been struggling a bit.

Many videos I have watched show the second router running a scan to find the original network, but cannot see the 7800 N has that capability.

Can someone please correct me if I miss anything, but I assume I need to turn DHCP off for the Billion and make sure that both the Billion and existing router use the same wifi channel. Channel 11 was analysed as the best for my area, so will set the two to that. I guess I will need to put the SSID of the existing router in as well as the password and will I need to match the security type for both, though will have to find where this is input.

Oh by the way, the new router is a Huawei Echo Life HG8245H GPON terminal.

Any help you can give me so I can get these two to connect would be great

cheers
billion_fan

Re: Use 7800 N As Extender

Post by billion_fan »

honkin wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:49 pm hi

I haven't used my old Billion 7800N for a while, but am wondering about using it to extend the wifi network of our new house, as some areas do not get very good signal. I will not be able to use an ethernet cable for the connection between Billion and existing router, so have been struggling a bit.

Many videos I have watched show the second router running a scan to find the original network, but cannot see the 7800 N has that capability.

Can someone please correct me if I miss anything, but I assume I need to turn DHCP off for the Billion and make sure that both the Billion and existing router use the same wifi channel. Channel 11 was analysed as the best for my area, so will set the two to that. I guess I will need to put the SSID of the existing router in as well as the password and will I need to match the security type for both, though will have to find where this is input.

Oh by the way, the new router is a Huawei Echo Life HG8245H GPON terminal.

Any help you can give me so I can get these two to connect would be great

cheers
Attached is a link to setup the 7800N in WDS mode with the 3100SN (WDS is only way you can use the 7800N as a wireless repeater)

As the 7800N will be the repeater, you will have to disable the DHCP server, (not covered in this guide, as the 7800N is main router within this guide, but the WDS setup is covered)

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... /305/3/nsn

Please note this setup might not work with your HG8245H, because of WDS compatibility issues with different chipsets.
honkin

Post by honkin »

Thanks so much for the reply

When I click the link, I get the following message: "You don't have permission to access /esupport/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

cheers
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

honkin wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:07 pm Thanks so much for the reply

When I click the link, I get the following message: "You don't have permission to access /esupport/index.php on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

cheers
Attached,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.