7800 + Huawei 5G CPE Pro

NinjaProtons

7800 + Huawei 5G CPE Pro

Post by NinjaProtons »

I would be grateful if anyone could provide insight into if I could effectively connect a Huawei 5G CPE Pro to my current Billion 7800 EWAN port (or a different port?) for the purpose of giving me another option for a WAN connection via the 7800 alongside my PPPoA ADSL line. I would like to keep the 7800 as the main router. I have an Apple Airport Time Capsule connected via ethernet into the 7800 that acts as my wireless access point, and I would like to continue using this configuration but also be able to connect via WiFi directly to the WAN on the Huawei if I need. The Huawei operates a 4G/5G cellular connection for internet access and has 2 available ethernet ports.

I'd like to please know if I am correct to connect the Huawei to the EWAN port on the 7800. Also, any tips on how to configure in the 7800 interface would be much appreciated.

Thanks
billion_fan

Re: 7800 + Huawei 5G CPE Pro

Post by billion_fan »

NinjaProtons wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:32 pm I would be grateful if anyone could provide insight into if I could effectively connect a Huawei 5G CPE Pro to my current Billion 7800 EWAN port (or a different port?) for the purpose of giving me another option for a WAN connection via the 7800 alongside my PPPoA ADSL line. I would like to keep the 7800 as the main router. I have an Apple Airport Time Capsule connected via ethernet into the 7800 that acts as my wireless access point, and I would like to continue using this configuration but also be able to connect via WiFi directly to the WAN on the Huawei if I need. The Huawei operates a 4G/5G cellular connection for internet access and has 2 available ethernet ports.

I'd like to please know if I am correct to connect the Huawei to the EWAN port on the 7800. Also, any tips on how to configure in the 7800 interface would be much appreciated.

Thanks
The two WAN interfaces can not work as a load balancer, its only failover/fallback eg ADSL goes down, EWAN will kick in, also the EWAN port is limited to 100mbps)

Make a backup of your config, (just incase something goes wrong you can always restore your config)

This can be done under 'Advanced >> Configuration >> System >> Backup/Restore'

Before starting make sure the Billion router is not running on the same subnet as the Huawei 5G eg Billion - 192.168.1.254, Huawei 5G - 192.168.0.1

Once done click on 'Advanced >> Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Interface'

Change the 'Main Port to 'Dual WAN' set WAN 1 as ADSL and WAN 2 to EWAN (so ADSL will be the primary connection, and when ADSL fails the EWAN will kick in)

Tick the option for Keep Backup Interface Connected, set the 'Detect' rule to Ping Host and enter the IP 8.8.8.8

Click on 'Apply'

To configure the EWAN port connection method eg to 'Obtain a IP address automatically' (which I assume you want as the Huawei 5G will be working as a router also) follow the two screen shots.

Once done, click on 'Save config' at the bottom of screen, then 'Apply' to write the setting to flash, and reboot the router.

Now if you want the Huawei 5G to take over as the primary connection, disconnect the ADSL connection from the 7800N, wait for around 1 minute, and the EWAN will now be the primary connection
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NinjaProtons

Re: 7800 + Huawei 5G CPE Pro

Post by NinjaProtons »

billion_fan wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:54 pm
NinjaProtons wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:32 pm I would be grateful if anyone could provide insight into if I could effectively connect a Huawei 5G CPE Pro to my current Billion 7800 EWAN port (or a different port?) for the purpose of giving me another option for a WAN connection via the 7800 alongside my PPPoA ADSL line. I would like to keep the 7800 as the main router. I have an Apple Airport Time Capsule connected via ethernet into the 7800 that acts as my wireless access point, and I would like to continue using this configuration but also be able to connect via WiFi directly to the WAN on the Huawei if I need. The Huawei operates a 4G/5G cellular connection for internet access and has 2 available ethernet ports.

Thanks
The two WAN interfaces can not work as a load balancer, its only failover/fallback eg ADSL goes down, EWAN will kick in, also the EWAN port is limited to 100mbps)

Make a backup of your config, (just incase something goes wrong you can always restore your config)

This can be done under 'Advanced >> Configuration >> System >> Backup/Restore'

Before starting make sure the Billion router is not running on the same subnet as the Huawei 5G eg Billion - 192.168.1.254, Huawei 5G - 192.168.0.1

Once done click on 'Advanced >> Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Interface'

Change the 'Main Port to 'Dual WAN' set WAN 1 as ADSL and WAN 2 to EWAN (so ADSL will be the primary connection, and when ADSL fails the EWAN will kick in)

Tick the option for Keep Backup Interface Connected, set the 'Detect' rule to Ping Host and enter the IP 8.8.8.8

Click on 'Apply'

To configure the EWAN port connection method eg to 'Obtain a IP address automatically' (which I assume you want as the Huawei 5G will be working as a router also) follow the two screen shots.

Once done, click on 'Save config' at the bottom of screen, then 'Apply' to write the setting to flash, and reboot the router.

Now if you want the Huawei 5G to take over as the primary connection, disconnect the ADSL connection from the 7800N, wait for around 1 minute, and the EWAN will now be the primary connection
Thank you! I'll give this a go and see how I get on.