7800N Configuration for Sky Fibre

rowan.bradley

7800N Configuration for Sky Fibre

Post by rowan.bradley »

I am trying to use a recently purchased Billion Bipac 7800N router in conjunction with my Sky fibre broadband connection. The reason that I want to do this is because I need to set up a site-to-site VPN with my office in USA. My existing Sky installation has a BT Openreach modem plugged into the master wall socket, then a piece of CAT5 cable connects the modem to a Sky SR101 router. I am trying to replace the SR101 router with the 7800N.

My 7800N seems to have firmware version 1.06h.

According to the instructions on viewtopic.php?f=9&t=343 it says:
1) Login to 7800N via Http.
2) Upgrade the beta firmware
3) Restart to the Factory Default Settings
4) Please choose the protocol as MPoA (RFC1483/RFC2684, Multiprotocol Encapsulation over AAL5)
5) Please enter VCI / VPI as 0/40
5) Please input the client ID as username and password separate with "|" e.g. username|password

I presume that I do not have to do 1, 2 and 3 since my device already has the latest firmware.

I can't find out how to do step 4. If in the web interface I go to Advanced/Configuration/WAN/WAN Profile, the only protocols I can select are:
- Obtain an IP address automatically
- Fixed IP address
- PPPoE
- PureBridge

There is no entry in the list for MPoA. How do I select the right protocol?

The above is with EWAN selected in the Profile Port box. If I select ADSL in the Profile Port box, then I _can_ select MPoA. But this surely implies that I need to connect the WAN to the box via the DSL port, which would cut out the Openreach modem. Is this going to work?

Is the procedure for configuring the 7800N for use with Sky documented somewhere? In particular, how do I set up MAC Spoofing (which I understand to be necessary), and how do I discover the correct MAC address to use? I want to get this right, because I don't want to have Sky block my line when I connect the router up...

Thanks - Rowan
billion_fan

Re: 7800N Configuration for Sky Fibre

Post by billion_fan »

rowan.bradley wrote:I am trying to use a recently purchased Billion Bipac 7800N router in conjunction with my Sky fibre broadband connection. The reason that I want to do this is because I need to set up a site-to-site VPN with my office in USA. My existing Sky installation has a BT Openreach modem plugged into the master wall socket, then a piece of CAT5 cable connects the modem to a Sky SR101 router. I am trying to replace the SR101 router with the 7800N.

My 7800N seems to have firmware version 1.06h.

According to the instructions on viewtopic.php?f=9&t=343 it says:
1) Login to 7800N via Http.
2) Upgrade the beta firmware
3) Restart to the Factory Default Settings
4) Please choose the protocol as MPoA (RFC1483/RFC2684, Multiprotocol Encapsulation over AAL5)
5) Please enter VCI / VPI as 0/40
5) Please input the client ID as username and password separate with "|" e.g. username|password

I presume that I do not have to do 1, 2 and 3 since my device already has the latest firmware.

I can't find out how to do step 4. If in the web interface I go to Advanced/Configuration/WAN/WAN Profile, the only protocols I can select are:
- Obtain an IP address automatically
- Fixed IP address
- PPPoE
- PureBridge

There is no entry in the list for MPoA. How do I select the right protocol?

The above is with EWAN selected in the Profile Port box. If I select ADSL in the Profile Port box, then I _can_ select MPoA. But this surely implies that I need to connect the WAN to the box via the DSL port, which would cut out the Openreach modem. Is this going to work?

Is the procedure for configuring the 7800N for use with Sky documented somewhere? In particular, how do I set up MAC Spoofing (which I understand to be necessary), and how do I discover the correct MAC address to use? I want to get this right, because I don't want to have Sky block my line when I connect the router up...

Thanks - Rowan
Try following the attached screen shot, use the 'Basic' menu and make sure your open reach modem is plugged to the EWAN port on the 7800N
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rowan.bradley

Post by rowan.bradley »

Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean that I don't have to select MPoA? Why did the original instructions say that I needed to select this? I am nervous about doing this wrong in case Sky cuts me off...

Thanks - Rowan
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

rowan.bradley wrote:Thanks for your reply.

Do you mean that I don't have to select MPoA? Why did the original instructions say that I needed to select this? I am nervous about doing this wrong in case Sky cuts me off...

Thanks - Rowan
MPOA is for ADSL users, after we debugged the Fibre connection method, this is the way to to setup the 7800N with Sky Fibre.

I don't think Sky will cut you off, they will be loosing a customer if they do, plus there are plenty of users here with the same setup method as you
rowan.bradley

Post by rowan.bradley »

What about MAC Spoofing? Do I have to use this? If so, which MAC address do I have to use, and how do I find it out?

Thanks - Rowan
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

rowan.bradley wrote:What about MAC Spoofing? Do I have to use this? If so, which MAC address do I have to use, and how do I find it out?

Thanks - Rowan
There is no need to enter a mac in the MAC spoofing section (this is for a older Virgin/Telewest/NTL cable users), just follow the screen I sent and you should be fine :D
rowan.bradley

Post by rowan.bradley »

Thanks for your help.

It is plugged in now, and seems to be working to some degree. I seem to be connected to the internet via WiFi, although I have not yet set up my wireless network security. For some reason the device is not giving me access to the configuration web pages on http://192.168.0.1. I can ping this address, but if I try to browse to it it waits for ages and then says "This page can’t be displayed".

Any idea why this might be?

Thanks - Rowan
rowan.bradley

Post by rowan.bradley »

Ah - a reboot of the router seemed to fix this. I think it's all working now. Thanks again for your help.

Rowan
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

rowan.bradley wrote:Ah - a reboot of the router seemed to fix this. I think it's all working now. Thanks again for your help.

Rowan
Thats great news :D
grggs9

Post by grggs9 »

Hi, rowan.bradley, how did you get your username and password. Regards.