Can connect to Billion 7800N's VPN but no Internet Access

Salty_Wagyu

Can connect to Billion 7800N's VPN but no Internet Access

Post by Salty_Wagyu »

I'm trying to set up VPN on my new Billion 7800N so I can securely access the Internet from my phone/laptop when I connect to open unsecured Wi-Fi networks on my travels.

On my Android phone I have added a PPTN VPN to my home IP address (which is static by the way), and tested it whilst connected to 3G. It connects to the VPN but there is no Internet Access.

My settings are:

I did not know what to put for the "IP Addresses assigned to Peer" box, so I put an unused number, 250.

Is there anything I am doing wrong? Or am I going the wrong way about this?

I used to port forward (on my old router) to a Windows 7 PC and had the Windows VPN set up there, but I couldn't always connect to it for some reason when I was in Europe, so I'm looking for something more reliable and not have a PC running at the same time.
billion_fan

Re: Can connect to Billion 7800N's VPN but no Internet Acces

Post by billion_fan »

Hi Salty_Wagyu

Have you tried your setup with a windows based machine?

It might be a DNS issue, or that the 3G provider might not allow you route traffic through the VPN tunnel. (not sure)

Normally on windows you can change this under the properties TCP/IP on the VPN tunnel you have created (DNS servers for VPN and Use default gateway on remote network)

Maybe you can check some of the settings on your phone to see what settings are available.
Salty_Wagyu

Post by Salty_Wagyu »

I can't test with any of my Windows PCs as they're connected to LAN. And there's no open wifi networks around here that I can test on.

I have connected to a VPN before through 3G successfully and had Inet access, but at the time I had a VPN running on a Windows 7 PC, and left that on 24/7 when I travelled to Europe. I'm trying to do without the PC this time and have the VPN on the router instead.

There was a DNS Search Domains option in the Android VPN settings, I put my ISP's DNS address in there but that made no difference.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Try the following DNS servers

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

or

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Salty_Wagyu

Post by Salty_Wagyu »

Actually it works. I think there's a problem with Android's way of connecting to the Billion VPN. I set up a wi-fi hotspot on Android instead (3G enabled too) and connected my Windows laptop to that, then attempted to log into the Billion VPN from Windows and browsed the net fine, whatismyip.com showed my home IP address as well.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Might just be a Android software issue then?

Not sure as I haven't tested the PPTP function with Android, don't have a Android phone sorry
Salty_Wagyu

Post by Salty_Wagyu »

It seems the Billion 7800N is not giving clients the DNS server IP when connecting to it. I was able to load a website on my android phone when using an IP address of a site I looked up on nslookup, when the site address doesn't work. Running IPDroid (downloadable from Android Market) shows my Remote IP address but DNS address remains blank.

Maybe Billion can look into this, I understand PPTP is a new feature you added in the latest patch so this DNS issue is something you may have overlooked.

billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Have you tried to add the DNS servers under "DNS Search Domains" on your Android device?
Salty_Wagyu

Post by Salty_Wagyu »

I have tried but with no success, besides "DNS Search Domains" is something different according to Google results, it's for putting a domain address in and not an IP address.

These are the settings on Android:

The DNS info according to IPDroid when connecting to Billion 7800N's VPN, which is blank:

The DNS info according to IPDroid when connecting to a VPN I set up on a Windows machine (port forwarded 1723 to it), and Internet works on it:

So it looks like 7800N VPN is not properly giving clients the DNS addresses whereas a Windows VPN does.
williamsen786

Post by williamsen786 »

Hey, thanks for sharing this information, I was trying to setup my aAndroid VPN connection since 3 days but no success at all. Now I found you thread which I must say totally usable, using your information I have succeed in establishing connection between my host server in android application..
Last edited by williamsen786 on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.