Can connect to Billion 7800N's VPN but no Internet Access

Salty_Wagyu

Re: Can connect to Billion 7800N's VPN but no Internet Acces

Post by Salty_Wagyu »

Hi again,

I'm the OP of this thread and have found a workaround by using the VpnROOT app at https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... id.vpnroot

This alternative VPN client allows to manually input DNS addresses, so I can now put the correct ones in there and browse the internet securely via my Billion 7800N's VPN tunneling when I use unprotected Wi-Fi. However this requires root so it's not for everyone.

The Billion 7800N being unable to give out DNS addresses to a PPTP Client is still an outstanding issue though, even VpnROOT was unable to automatically obtain them as well as Android's inbuilt VPN client.
knightnet

Post by knightnet »

What settings do you have on the router for DNS? Do you have the router set to do DNS under DHCP or is it set to give your ISP's DNS?
Regards, Julian Knight
Salty_Wagyu

Post by Salty_Wagyu »

knightnet wrote:What settings do you have on the router for DNS? Do you have the router set to do DNS under DHCP or is it set to give your ISP's DNS?
I have Use Router as DNS Server ticked in Configuration > LAN > DHCP Server.

Interesting, could it be because it's trying to give my mobile phone 192.168.1.254 as the DNS server, and flips out because its not on the LAN?

edit: just tested, it's still unable to get obtain DNS servers from the router through VPN. The option in router settings was unticked this time and ISP's DNS servers manually entered.
Eastbury-Sean

Post by Eastbury-Sean »

I fixed my issue with the ipad and iphone by setting Setting Send All Traffic = Off
BabaIkram

Post by BabaIkram »

DoomWolf wrote:I would also love to see this fixed so that I can browse securely via my VPN on my iPad.
The way to fix the issue for ipad/iphone is to input the external IP address of your Billion router under server menu and set 'send all traffic' = OFF while configuring PPTP on your idevices . You can find the external IP addres of your billion router under configuration and status. The setting up on the billion router is as described by the originator of the thread.
By doing this, I was able to use the VPN to browse. :D
racingclub

Post by racingclub »

Eastbury-Sean wrote:I fixed my issue with the ipad and iphone by setting Setting Send All Traffic = Off
Doesn't this mean that the traffic isn't going over the tunnel though?
jimjam

Post by jimjam »

racingclub wrote:
Eastbury-Sean wrote:I fixed my issue with the ipad and iphone by setting Setting Send All Traffic = Off
Doesn't this mean that the traffic isn't going over the tunnel though?
I agree - I would say that setting Send All Traffic = Off means that your internet traffic is not routed over the VPN.
You can check this at http://www.whatismyip.com/
This website should show the WAN IP address of the billion router, not the IP address of the wifi hotspot/cell network that the iphone is connected to.
I suspect it will show the IP address of the wifi hotspot/cell network that the client is connected to.

This basically makes the pptp vpn functionality useless.
The 7800n should push it's DNS to the VPN client, either passing the DNS assigned by DHCP from the ISP, the static defined DNS, or acting as DNS server itself.

Can anyone from Billion comment if this is proposed to be fixed?
jimjam

Post by jimjam »

I contacted billion's support, and they told me:
The PPTP server on the 7800N does not pass DNS servers over the VPN tunnel.

The PPTP option on the 7800N was designed to make a TCP/IP connection from one point to the other.
Looks like Billion don't support using the 7800n router as a access VPN server, but are expecting it to be used for site-to-site only (where each site has correct DNS).
Not sure whether this is a limitation of the PPTP server software, or lack of configurability in the GUI, but this is quite disappointing...
jimjam

Post by jimjam »

If you want to connect to the 7800's PPTP vpn from a jailbroken iOS device and to get internet acces through the tunnel you can use guizmoDNS.
It cost $1.99 from cydia and works fine using google public DNS (8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4) or OpenDNS.
wifiuk

Post by wifiuk »

i have the same problem, local navagation is fine = site to site

but when trying to navigate to any internet site, then DNS issue. I'm sure this can be fixed with a firmware update to pass DNS info to the VPN client.

I'm going to try guizmoDNS on my jauilbroken iphone and see if i can get that to work ..

EDIT: Confirm guizmDNS works and i can now connect via VPN and resolve websites.

When i do checks everything is resolving from my Home Network IP. So seems to be working as expected, thanks!