Can connect to Billion 7800N's VPN but no Internet Access

slimgym

Re: Can connect to Billion 7800N's VPN but no Internet Acces

Post by slimgym »

One temporary solution (until the feature is added..?) is to run a proxy server on a LAN machine, then configure the iDevice to manually proxy through it.
IMG_0672.jpg
I used FreeProxy (probably a lot more featured than you'd need) It's only a 5MB download. Had no problems using http, https through it, no doubt anything you could do would work. Used goodreader to connect to google docs, dropbox, even opera worked through it too, as did TuneIn Radio, BBC iPlayer app, would doubtless work from abroad also :)

It would be a very nice thing to have, for the 7800N to bounce traffic to the public side and I'd love to see this in a future firmware. Has anyone submitted a "wish request"?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wifiuk

Post by wifiuk »

jimjam wrote:If you want to connect to the 7800's PPTP vpn from a jailbroken iOS device and to get internet acces through the tunnel you can use guizmoDNS.
It cost $1.99 from cydia and works fine using google public DNS (8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4) or OpenDNS.
i confirm this works perfectly.

The router is not doing the DNS pass to the client correctly so that change has to be done on the device ..
slimgym

Post by slimgym »

wifiuk wrote:The router is not doing the DNS pass to the client correctly so that change has to be done on the device ..
Indeed, we have a D-Link router at work which is very similar in configuration to the Billion and if I connect to the VPN on that router you do get outside world access without needing a proxy. It will also allow multiple connections to the VPN account whereas the Billion you need a separate account for each connection required (though it could be argued the way Billion does it provides for better security).
wifiuk

Post by wifiuk »

i like the idea of having separate accounts, so they can be turned on and off if needed
sophiawhite

Post by sophiawhite »

My 7800N was going beautifully (30 days+ uptime) until recently when i finally got round to upgrading the firmware to 1.03. Since the upgrade (with reset to default factory settings and manual reconfiguration) it seems to stop serving DNS to clients on average abut once a day.

The strange thing is, if i just drop the ADSL connection and reconnect it actually seems to start working again, which would seem to indicate a fault with my Internode connection, however if i change my DNS settings on my pc or laptop to an external dns server (including the Internode one the 7800N is using) while the 7800N DNS is down it works perfectly.

Am i able to downgrade back to a 1.02 firmware in order to confirm this is the cause?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

sophiawhite wrote:My 7800N was going beautifully (30 days+ uptime) until recently when i finally got round to upgrading the firmware to 1.03. Since the upgrade (with reset to default factory settings and manual reconfiguration) it seems to stop serving DNS to clients on average abut once a day.

The strange thing is, if i just drop the ADSL connection and reconnect it actually seems to start working again, which would seem to indicate a fault with my Internode connection, however if i change my DNS settings on my pc or laptop to an external dns server (including the Internode one the 7800N is using) while the 7800N DNS is down it works perfectly.

Am i able to downgrade back to a 1.02 firmware in order to confirm this is the cause?
Latest firmware verison is 1.06g, not sure where you got firmware 1.03 from, as it is not listed on our UK website.

I would suggest upgrading to 1.06g and setting the DNS servers on the WAN section to google DNS servers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
chiclothe

Post by chiclothe »

It might be a DNS issue.
jamecorbi

Post by jamecorbi »

chiclothe wrote:It might be a DNS issue.
No i dont think that it is dns issue
chiclothe

Post by chiclothe »

I put my ISP's DNS address in there but that made no difference.
Supplanter357

Post by Supplanter357 »

Hello,

When you connect to your router and are given an IP address from it your device will route all traffic through that interface (unless you use the iPhone solution because it will only route traffic destined for your LAN to it and all other traffic over you carriers/public wifi network) The issue is as already stated, that a DNS server is not handed out to the device automatically. This means your device can't resolve host names against IP's and therefore you won't be able to land a web page. If you set the DNS servers to googles 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4 on your VPN connection settings it will work. You can check whatsmyip.com to confirm it is infact your routers WAN address. The router routes traffic, the DNS resolves IP's against names. You would be able to browse the internet if you knew the IP address for each website.. You can try it by doing an nslookup from command prompt..

for example:

Go to start/run type cmd and hit return.

At the prompt type:

nslookup www.google.com

You will get a response like this

Non-authoriative answer:
Name: www.google.com
Addresses: 2a00:1450:4009:809::1010 (this is an IPv6 address)

The above are the IP addresses for www.google.com. Google is the host name which DNS resolves to the above IP addresses.

So if in your web browser you type http://173.194.41.179/ it will take you to www.google.com because you know the IP and DNS has not had to resolve it. http is the protocol so when you hit googles server it knows what service you want..

So basically telling your VPN connection the DNS servers which the Billion is unable to give out your device, Your device will route traffic over your routers connection but will be able to resolve hostnames because it can route 8.8.8.8 over your connection as the DNS server instead of your billion router.

Hopefully nice and clear.. Enjoy :D