Can connect to Billion 7800N's VPN but no Internet Access

davotoula

Re: Can connect to Billion 7800N's VPN but no Internet Acces

Post by davotoula »

I'm late to the party but have also had the same issue.

If the device allows switching between "send all traffic over VPN" then you can disable that and have internet working. PC/Mac usually allows this. The downside is that your internet traffic is not protected from logging/snooping should you want that and it will also originate in your current location rather than at the location of your router.

On devices that automatically force all traffic via the VPN tunnel the only resolution is to set DNS manually IF the device allows it.

My android phone forces all traffic via VPN tunnel but allows setting of DNS so I can browser internet while on VPN with my android phone. Apple iPad force traffic via VPN but don't allow setting of DNS server so I cannot surf internet while on those devices.

Another drawback is that the DNS requests will go via the local network and can be logged or even tampered with.
billion_fan

Re: Can connect to Billion 7800N's VPN but no Internet Acces

Post by billion_fan »

davotoula wrote:I'm late to the party but have also had the same issue.

If the device allows switching between "send all traffic over VPN" then you can disable that and have internet working. PC/Mac usually allows this. The downside is that your internet traffic is not protected from logging/snooping should you want that and it will also originate in your current location rather than at the location of your router.

On devices that automatically force all traffic via the VPN tunnel the only resolution is to set DNS manually IF the device allows it.

My android phone forces all traffic via VPN tunnel but allows setting of DNS so I can browser internet while on VPN with my android phone. Apple iPad force traffic via VPN but don't allow setting of DNS server so I cannot surf internet while on those devices.

Another drawback is that the DNS requests will go via the local network and can be logged or even tampered with.
On your iPhone you should be able to disable 'Send All Traffic' option which will enable you to browse the internet while connected to the VPN, (this means traffic will not be routed over the VPN tunnel, but you can still can access devices connected at the other end over VPN)
batgirl

Re: Can connect to Billion 7800N's VPN but no Internet Access

Post by batgirl »

You can try this DNS server

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4