Moved to Sky Broadband, want to use my trusty 7800n

SpirituaLee

Moved to Sky Broadband, want to use my trusty 7800n

Post by SpirituaLee »

Hi all, moved from TalkTalk Business to Sky Unlimited Broadband (not fibre), and have used Wireshark to retrieve my client ID, but I can't get connected.

There's am equals sign at the start of the username portion of the client ID. Should this stay, or should I convert it to something else?

I'm also confused as to what MER is, and what settings I should be using to connect.

I'm running 1.06h firmware, and have reset to factory settings, and would really appreciate some guidance!

Thanks lots!
billion_fan

Re: Moved to Sky Broadband, want to use my trusty 7800n

Post by billion_fan »

SpirituaLee wrote:Hi all, moved from TalkTalk Business to Sky Unlimited Broadband (not fibre), and have used Wireshark to retrieve my client ID, but I can't get connected.

There's am equals sign at the start of the username portion of the client ID. Should this stay, or should I convert it to something else?

I'm also confused as to what MER is, and what settings I should be using to connect.

I'm running 1.06h firmware, and have reset to factory settings, and would really appreciate some guidance!

Thanks lots!
If you are still on ADSL, you must use PPPOA as the 'Protocol' VPI = 0 VCI =38, encap method VC-MUX, in the username and password sections enter your username/password (forget about MER authentication, this is only used with Sky Fibre now)

Also check the following thread for extra tips on extracting your username and password

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2490 (there should be a third party link to a website that can generate your user/pass)
SpirituaLee

Post by SpirituaLee »

Hey, thanks for replying. I took a punt on those details shortly after posting yesterday and they worked a treat.

Speeds seemed fine (slightly more than what I was getting with TalkTalk Business), but today it seems to have dropped, despite the sync rate increasing further.

Is this usual?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

SpirituaLee wrote:Hey, thanks for replying. I took a punt on those details shortly after posting yesterday and they worked a treat.

Speeds seemed fine (slightly more than what I was getting with TalkTalk Business), but today it seems to have dropped, despite the sync rate increasing further.

Is this usual?
It shouldn't drop put, you might need to monitor the SNR reading to see if they drop low
SpirituaLee

Post by SpirituaLee »

Looking at the status, it's like this...
DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 1399
Downstream 15040
SNR Margin(Upstream) 4.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 3.1
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 19.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 33.0

Despite my sync rate being almost 1000kbps more than I achieved with TalkTalk Business, my download speed is now around 8meg. which is 5m less than I achieved with TalkTalk.

The D/L SNR looks OK I think, so not sure what could be causing it.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

SpirituaLee wrote:Looking at the status, it's like this...
DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 1399
Downstream 15040
SNR Margin(Upstream) 4.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 3.1
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 19.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 33.0

Despite my sync rate being almost 1000kbps more than I achieved with TalkTalk Business, my download speed is now around 8meg. which is 5m less than I achieved with TalkTalk.

The D/L SNR looks OK I think, so not sure what could be causing it.

Have you adjusted the SNR??
SpirituaLee

Post by SpirituaLee »

Yes I did. Have I done bad?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

SpirituaLee wrote:Yes I did. Have I done bad?
If you experiencing speed drops, it might because the SNR is too low, and might need to be defaulted back to -1, for monitoring