Use 7800N Only as Modem

HenryHonda

Use 7800N Only as Modem

Post by HenryHonda »

My 7800N has served me well on a long noisy line (especially SNR tweakability), but I now want to take advantage of the dual band Wi-Fi AC performance of my new phone and laptop - so have invested in a separate 1750 AC router.

Could those with much more experience than me please advise exactly what I have to do to setup the 7800N to only pass the ADSL through to the new router?

I know I'll have to switch off wireless and the DHCP server - I just need a dummies step by step to pass ADSL from one of the 7800N Ethernet ports to the WAN port on the router.

Thanks in advance for your help :)
billion_fan

Re: Use 7800N Only as Modem

Post by billion_fan »

See attached screen shot example

Once set and the device has rebooted you need to setup your 1750 AC router for PPPOE connection, with your broadband username and password set
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HenryHonda

Post by HenryHonda »

Many thanks for the swift reply bf, very useful! So I'll set this, then disable WiFi and DHCP server as well?

Cheers,
Henry :)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

HenryHonda wrote:Many thanks for the swift reply bf, very useful! So I'll set this, then disable WiFi and DHCP server as well?

Cheers,
Henry :)
Yes you can do that, I just normally set the device to 'Bridging' mode only and forget the rest
wrightal123

Post by wrightal123 »

I have the same reasons for now looking to bridge my 7800N but am having trouble.

Having followed instructions elsewhere I am a bit stuck as I get no internet on my new router - help would be appreciated:

Set-up: ISP is SKY
Internet => 7800N (Pure Bridge Mode) => Netgear R7500 router

Sky uses PPPoA 0/38

With my laptop connected to one of the 4 ports I have put my 7800N in Pure Bridge Mode as per screenshot by billion_fan (I have also tried LLC/SNAP BRIDGING mode for encapsulation). I then carried out a connection check using windows 7 by creating a new internet connection via Control Panel. Windows 7 sets this up as PPPoE. I input my SKY username and password and tick to allow all users share the connection.

But this connection always fails with a 651 error code (no idea what that is). With good old British spirit I ignore that and go ahead anyway and start up my R7500, connect the bridged 7800N through one of the gigabit ports (i have also tried the EWAN) to the internet port on the R7500 and then cycle the R7500. I then connect my laptop through ethernet to one of the gigabit ports on the R7500. I start up my browser and the netgear router page auto opens...great! But this shows me there is no internet connection.

I am now stuck. Am I missing something - I'm not a Network guru, just a bloke who likes to tweak and knows the basics well enough not to be scared. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

wrightal123 wrote:I have the same reasons for now looking to bridge my 7800N but am having trouble.

Having followed instructions elsewhere I am a bit stuck as I get no internet on my new router - help would be appreciated:

Set-up: ISP is SKY
Internet => 7800N (Pure Bridge Mode) => Netgear R7500 router

Sky uses PPPoA 0/38

With my laptop connected to one of the 4 ports I have put my 7800N in Pure Bridge Mode as per screenshot by billion_fan (I have also tried LLC/SNAP BRIDGING mode for encapsulation). I then carried out a connection check using windows 7 by creating a new internet connection via Control Panel. Windows 7 sets this up as PPPoE. I input my SKY username and password and tick to allow all users share the connection.

But this connection always fails with a 651 error code (no idea what that is). With good old British spirit I ignore that and go ahead anyway and start up my R7500, connect the bridged 7800N through one of the gigabit ports (i have also tried the EWAN) to the internet port on the R7500 and then cycle the R7500. I then connect my laptop through ethernet to one of the gigabit ports on the R7500. I start up my browser and the netgear router page auto opens...great! But this shows me there is no internet connection.

I am now stuck. Am I missing something - I'm not a Network guru, just a bloke who likes to tweak and knows the basics well enough not to be scared. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I think the problem is Sky ADSL, as they only support PPPOA, not PPPOE (PPPOE is most common connection method when using bridge mode)
addseo1115

Post by addseo1115 »

Thanks for posting the useful info.
I am glad to see your great solution.
wrightal123

Post by wrightal123 »

Thanks billion_fan. My head says you are right and my heart says noooooooooo!
;)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

wrightal123 wrote:Thanks billion_fan. My head says you are right and my heart says noooooooooo!
;)
You can always try setting the 7800N to bridge mode (make sure you save and reboot the router for changes to take effect) then setup a PPPOE on your PC and see if you can dial in using Sky username and password.

(this test should officially confirm if you are able to connect in PPPOE mode)