Inbound security username / password

pungbricks

Inbound security username / password

Post by pungbricks »

Not sure if anyone can advise me: I have an IP camera on my local network which does not make provision for username and password security (other than the publicised defaults). I need to access the camera from the internet / WAN side of my Billion 7800N. I have created port forwarding to allow inbound (unsecured) access to the camera, but as I cannot modify the camera username defaults or add further usernames to the camera I am wondering if there is a way of achieving this via incoming security on the router itself. Things which come to mind are packet filtering, VPN etc. I don’t care how it’s done but my goal is to prevent unauthorised access to the camera. Can anyone advise if this is possible and if so, best approach to use (ideally point me at a step by step procedure as this is a bit beyond my current knowledge limits)?
billion_fan

Re: Inbound security username / password

Post by billion_fan »

pungbricks wrote:Not sure if anyone can advise me: I have an IP camera on my local network which does not make provision for username and password security (other than the publicised defaults). I need to access the camera from the internet / WAN side of my Billion 7800N. I have created port forwarding to allow inbound (unsecured) access to the camera, but as I cannot modify the camera username defaults or add further usernames to the camera I am wondering if there is a way of achieving this via incoming security on the router itself. Things which come to mind are packet filtering, VPN etc. I don’t care how it’s done but my goal is to prevent unauthorised access to the camera. Can anyone advise if this is possible and if so, best approach to use (ideally point me at a step by step procedure as this is a bit beyond my current knowledge limits)?
The only option is to lock down the WAN IP addresses that can access your camera, meaning if you are viewing your camera over your phone (3g/4g connection) as this IP will change you will have issues.

The router can't add a username and password to your camera, there is no function to do so.