7800N Sky FTTC test firmware now working (UPDATED 16/5)

sfitzp4573

Re: 7800N Sky FTTC test firmware now working (UPDATED 16/5)

Post by sfitzp4573 »

jook3d, are you referring to my doc?

You mention that you imported your previous config. I'd say that that is a bad idea. The intention might be ok, but you'd be better to use the original config and then manually add in your own values. Don't forget that the configs have been nobbled by the manufacturer/supplier and that there are things in there that you cannot see. There will be differences between a Sky ADSL router and a Sky Fibre router even though they might both say "Sagem 2504" or whatever on the outside.

I definately didn't change VPI/VCI from 0/38. Those were the defaults in the original Sky Sagem router. If you look at your own Sky router, after resetting it back to factory defaults, you should see the same. Make sure though that you have extracted the username/password correctly. The details to enter are those as printed on the underside of the Sky router (and also repeated on the card that came with it). Pay particular attention to differences between the characters numeric zero (0) and alphabetic oh (O).
As an example (using duff values for privacy etc!), from using the password generator website,
if the LAN MAC address is 0021992196A1, and
the Default WPA Network Key is MLLPJXJW
then the website will reply Username: 0025672496a1@skydsl Password: 8en2/u9yN0JKnwP

thus the value to enter into the Client ID field in the 7800N is 0025672496a1@skydsl|8en2/u9yN0JKnwP

In the above line, note the pipe (|) symbol between the values for username & password. There are no spaces between the first character (0) and the last character (P).

For my experience, it was just as my notes suggest and describe. The 7800N has now been working perfectly for 6 days non-stop.

I'd suggest restoring your original config, then rechecking that your cables are connected correctly, then check your username & password again. The password website will still give you a password even if you enter the data incorrectly - only, it will not be the correct password!

Let us know how you get on.
jook3d

Post by jook3d »

Hi sfitzp4573, yes I was referring to your document. I have just tried again keeping the factory settings and not importing my own config. I unticked the Obtain DNS automatically as your screenshot had it unticked. I got the same problem. The status keeps refreshing trying to get the DCHP. The end of the system log has :

Jan 01 00:02:28 user udhcpc: Sending discover...
Jan 01 00:02:28 daemon DHCP SERVER: DHCPINFORM from 192.168.1.100
Jan 01 00:02:30 user udhcpc: Sending discover...
Jan 01 00:02:31 daemon DHCP SERVER: DHCPINFORM from 192.168.1.100
Jan 01 00:02:39 user udhcpc: Sending discover...

Did you need to reboot your modem? This is something that I haven't done.
wantage42

Post by wantage42 »

jook3d wrote:Hi sfitzp4573, yes I was referring to your document. I have just tried again keeping the factory settings and not importing my own config. I unticked the Obtain DNS automatically as your screenshot had it unticked. I got the same problem. The status keeps refreshing trying to get the DCHP. The end of the system log has :

Jan 01 00:02:28 user udhcpc: Sending discover...
Jan 01 00:02:28 daemon DHCP SERVER: DHCPINFORM from 192.168.1.100
Jan 01 00:02:30 user udhcpc: Sending discover...
Jan 01 00:02:31 daemon DHCP SERVER: DHCPINFORM from 192.168.1.100
Jan 01 00:02:39 user udhcpc: Sending discover...

Did you need to reboot your modem? This is something that I haven't done.
Hi
Il just jump in and try to help.
more than likely just the same, but i used this password generator for mine
http://www.ph-mb.com/products/sky-calc
Yes use the wap code that came with router.
To save any errors, i always copy & paste the username|password to omit errors. (making sure there are no spaces)
I'm sure you have done, but you did load the fibre version of the firmware on to the Billion? (1.06gdc1)
Best Regards, Will
jook3d

Post by jook3d »

wantage42 wrote: Hi
Il just jump in and try to help.
more than likely just the same, but i used this password generator for mine
http://www.ph-mb.com/products/sky-calc
Yes use the wap code that came with router.
To save any errors, i always copy & paste the username|password to omit errors. (making sure there are no spaces)
I'm sure you have done, but you did load the fibre version of the firmware on to the Billion? (1.06gdc1)
Best Regards, Will
I can confirm that I have flashed the correct firmware version on my router. The MAC address I used I did copy and paste. I even took out the colons though it didn't seem to make a difference to what was generated. The default password was all letters (no numbers) so I know I didn't make a mistake there. I used the password not the PIN from the card and bottom of the router. I also just tried the http://www.ph-mb.com/products/sky-calc link and got the same generated details. And to confirm that I did copy and paste the results with the pipe and no spaces.

On the final steps in the document where you change the WAN connect port from ADSL back to EWAN I noticed the client id was blank on the 2nd screen. I presume this was OK as it was previously entered for the ADSL steps.

My fibre was installed on the 15th so I presume the DLM stuff has all finished now if that might be causing a problem. Is there any easy way to check?
wantage42

Post by wantage42 »

You can check if DLM is running on your line, by going to mysky, account, then broadband. It will say there if it is. i'm not sure that would have any effect mind.
Look at bthe screenshot of mine. Advanced, Wan Profile. Does yours look anything like this.
Best Regards, Will
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wantage42

Post by wantage42 »

Just 1 other thing to check. I'm sure you have, but i have made the mistake myself in the past. Have you got the lan cable from the BTO modem going into the EWAN socket on the back of the Billion, not 1 of the ordinary ones. Like i say, im sure you have, but iv plugged into the wrong one before myself.
Best Regards, Will
jook3d

Post by jook3d »

This is what my WAN profile looks like. I can't change the client id here. It keeps blanking out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wantage42

Post by wantage42 »

jook3d wrote:This is what my WAN profile looks like. I can't change the client id here. It keeps blanking out.
Looks like the cliet id has not been going in.
I always put it in by using the quick start on the left. That way, when you go through the sequence it reboots and hey presto. Try it.
Should work (touchwood)
Best Regards, Will
jook3d

Post by jook3d »

OK, I got it working in the end. If I could mention the document I was using. The latest firmware has a client id field on the EWAN screen via the quick settings link, which was not in the document. Once I put the username and password here it worked (I had to reboot my PC before the router would detect a broadband connection though). Previously I was only entered the username and password under the ADSL section as per the document. I'll keep you all posted if there are any more problems. thanks.
wantage42

Post by wantage42 »

jook3d wrote:OK, I got it working in the end. If I could mention the document I was using. The latest firmware has a client id field on the EWAN screen via the quick settings link, which was not in the document. Once I put the username and password here it worked (I had to reboot my PC before the router would detect a broadband connection though). Previously I was only entered the username and password under the ADSL section as per the document. I'll keep you all posted if there are any more problems. thanks.
Thats good. Should work fine now.
I have to say Billion have done a fantastic job of sorting this firmware for the sky fibre. But i have to say it can be a little confusing with this test firmware to set up. It really does need tidying up. And that is not a criticism, it just does. It is fantastic that they sorted this so quick.
I read all i could on the net for a week or or so to get ready to put the billion on, as i only had sky fibre fitted yesterday, so its thanks to everyone here, special thanks to sfitzp4573 for doing his guide (very helpful) and to Billion for there superb support. I can only say i eagerly await a polished firmware for sky fibre. I hope they release it soon. Having said that, i want to try & leave my connection alone for a week or so now as i dont want to set any alarms/dlm going at sky, as i hacked the BTO modem this morning and that involed a power off or two, so i want the connection to settle now. Anyway, thanks to all on here & to Billion.
Best Regards, Will