Packet Loss and high latency while gaming on Playstation 4.

billion_fan
Posts: 5272
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: Packet Loss and high latency while gaming on Playstation

Post by billion_fan » Fri May 29, 2015 4:57 pm

Tomken wrote:
billion_fan wrote:New firmware that resolves the user kernel: ipt_tcpmss_target: bad length logs
So would you advise installing it even if you didn't have this problem ?

It's just that I've noticed my 7800N isn't syncing as high as it used to and have to tweak the SNR to get ~6.5meg from its natural ~6.
You can upgrade to this firmware if you like

Tomken
Posts: 467
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:31 am
Location: Co Durham

Re: Packet Loss and high latency while gaming on Playstation

Post by Tomken » Fri May 29, 2015 5:27 pm

Thanks - will give that a whirl.

Grandpa79
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:18 am

Re: Packet Loss and high latency while gaming on Playstation

Post by Grandpa79 » Sat May 30, 2015 6:04 pm

Thanks for posting the firmware. I just flashed the router with the firmware you provided, Just spent 15 minutes setting it up are there any changes that I should make to the default settings beyond ISP connection details, wireless settings and LAN DHCP settings?

Before I Flashed the new firmware I had the PS4 in the DMZ and had hours of fun in Battlefield 4 with no issues so I think its a step in the right direction. Destiny still proved rather frustrating, but its really only destiny that causes me any problems on PS4 I guess I'm just unlucky in that regard, cant really think of anything further to try.

Currently have the PS4 in the DMZ and i have left UPnP on for now. Intrusion detection is disabled but I think i have trouble if its disabled so have to keep an eye on things I guess. I did see a post suggesting editing the default intrusion detection settings in regards to packetloss on voip/teamspeak any ideas if enabling intrusion detection and editing the options is a possibility?

I was thinking about trying some QoS prioritization any suggestions as to rules - I was thinking of trying to set priority on DHCP assigned IP addresses to low and anything I set to a static IP to have High priority not sure if this even effective, any better ideas? Then again not really sure if it will even help.

Anyway thanks for your help - Any suggestions for QoS options or any necessary router settings you can think of that should be edited from default settings would be appreciated.

billion_fan
Posts: 5272
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: Packet Loss and high latency while gaming on Playstation

Post by billion_fan » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:43 am

Grandpa79 wrote:Thanks for posting the firmware. I just flashed the router with the firmware you provided, Just spent 15 minutes setting it up are there any changes that I should make to the default settings beyond ISP connection details, wireless settings and LAN DHCP settings?

Before I Flashed the new firmware I had the PS4 in the DMZ and had hours of fun in Battlefield 4 with no issues so I think its a step in the right direction. Destiny still proved rather frustrating, but its really only destiny that causes me any problems on PS4 I guess I'm just unlucky in that regard, cant really think of anything further to try.

Currently have the PS4 in the DMZ and i have left UPnP on for now. Intrusion detection is disabled but I think i have trouble if its disabled so have to keep an eye on things I guess. I did see a post suggesting editing the default intrusion detection settings in regards to packetloss on voip/teamspeak any ideas if enabling intrusion detection and editing the options is a possibility?

I was thinking about trying some QoS prioritization any suggestions as to rules - I was thinking of trying to set priority on DHCP assigned IP addresses to low and anything I set to a static IP to have High priority not sure if this even effective, any better ideas? Then again not really sure if it will even help.

Anyway thanks for your help - Any suggestions for QoS options or any necessary router settings you can think of that should be edited from default settings would be appreciated.
yes you can enter the whole DHCP range in the QOS section and set both the upload and download to low, and then add another rule for the upload and download with the PS4's IP entered with the rule set to high

Grandpa79
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:18 am

Re: Packet Loss and high latency while gaming on Playstation

Post by Grandpa79 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:11 am

Thanks for the reply, with a QoS rule do i have to enter anything for the DSCP marking? Or any of the other entries? Currently has a rule name, the IP range then either low or high.

Destiny on the PS4 was horrible repeated error messages and being booted to orbit which got progressively worse over time. I tried UPnP, port forward and DMZ and any form of PVP was just lag and 30 % packetloss or more. Oddly during one period of issues on the PS4 I was able to chat in a party, I could ping external IP addresses from my PC but I couldn't browse the web on any device chrome reported timeouts - I was wondering if this suggests a DNS issue? I resolved it by restarting the 7800n.

Any ideas what the default packet filter/firewall rule is on the 7800n I was wondering if maybe it was blocking a port or something. Is there some default QoS or packet filter which could be causing a conflict?

My friends wanted to do Iron Banner PvP in destiny so I ended up using an old router - this router had an option for "Accept large incoming fragmented UDP or ICMP packets" which if disabled removed the IP fragments error on the PS4 network test, is there any similar option on the billion 7800n?
Also i ran into issues on the old router as well but I resolved it by disabling the default packet filter, and have had 1 issue in Destiny on PS4 in 72 hours - go figure. I'm not saying its been perfect but a vast improvement.

Also I lowered my WAN MTU to 1400 which has seemingly vastly improved my connection, could an incorrect MTU value cause issues, anyway to find out what the optimum MTU is I was thinking could I set my wan mtu to 1500 then check on a pc and see what value doesn't return a fragment message on a ping -f -l (MTU VALUE) to say google - is this worth trying?
I have found discussions recommending anywhere from 1390 to 1492 for the MTU. I do remember always seeing Couldn't increase MTU to 1500 in the connection logs of the bipac 7800n.

Anyhow thanks again for your time and apologies for the wall of text.

billion_fan
Posts: 5272
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: Packet Loss and high latency while gaming on Playstation

Post by billion_fan » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:51 am

Grandpa79 wrote:Thanks for the reply, with a QoS rule do i have to enter anything for the DSCP marking? Or any of the other entries? Currently has a rule name, the IP range then either low or high.

Destiny on the PS4 was horrible repeated error messages and being booted to orbit which got progressively worse over time. I tried UPnP, port forward and DMZ and any form of PVP was just lag and 30 % packetloss or more. Oddly during one period of issues on the PS4 I was able to chat in a party, I could ping external IP addresses from my PC but I couldn't browse the web on any device chrome reported timeouts - I was wondering if this suggests a DNS issue? I resolved it by restarting the 7800n.

Any ideas what the default packet filter/firewall rule is on the 7800n I was wondering if maybe it was blocking a port or something. Is there some default QoS or packet filter which could be causing a conflict?

My friends wanted to do Iron Banner PvP in destiny so I ended up using an old router - this router had an option for "Accept large incoming fragmented UDP or ICMP packets" which if disabled removed the IP fragments error on the PS4 network test, is there any similar option on the billion 7800n?
Also i ran into issues on the old router as well but I resolved it by disabling the default packet filter, and have had 1 issue in Destiny on PS4 in 72 hours - go figure. I'm not saying its been perfect but a vast improvement.

Also I lowered my WAN MTU to 1400 which has seemingly vastly improved my connection, could an incorrect MTU value cause issues, anyway to find out what the optimum MTU is I was thinking could I set my wan mtu to 1500 then check on a pc and see what value doesn't return a fragment message on a ping -f -l (MTU VALUE) to say google - is this worth trying?
I have found discussions recommending anywhere from 1390 to 1492 for the MTU. I do remember always seeing Couldn't increase MTU to 1500 in the connection logs of the bipac 7800n.

Anyhow thanks again for your time and apologies for the wall of text.
Try disabling the firewall, in the internal IP address section enter the IP address of the PS4, and change the 'IP Version' to 'Ipv4' guide shown on the attached link

http://billion-fae.blogspot.co.uk/2012/ ... ll-on.html (this link if for a IPv6 rules, hence I mentioned changing it over to IPv4, and only opening the firewall to PS4 only)

Grandpa79
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 1:18 am

Re: Packet Loss and high latency while gaming on Playstation

Post by Grandpa79 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:09 am

Thanks again for your reply - I will give that a go..
so
IP version : IPV4
Internal IP address : Static IP of PS4
Protocol : Any
Direction : Incoming
Action : Forward
And a rule name.

So this disables firewall for the listed Internal IP address only?

One last question when creating a QoS rule to limit bandwidth to a device, well how would I go about doing that? Would I divide the 100% of LAN to WAN bandwidth between devices, or one rule limiting bandwidth to a device - I wanted to see if limiting upload bandwidth could reduce packet loss by leaving some overhead if that makes any sense?

billion_fan
Posts: 5272
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: Packet Loss and high latency while gaming on Playstation

Post by billion_fan » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:35 am

Grandpa79 wrote:Thanks again for your reply - I will give that a go..
so
IP version : IPV4
Internal IP address : Static IP of PS4
Protocol : Any
Direction : Incoming
Action : Forward
And a rule name.

So this disables firewall for the listed Internal IP address only?

One last question when creating a QoS rule to limit bandwidth to a device, well how would I go about doing that? Would I divide the 100% of LAN to WAN bandwidth between devices, or one rule limiting bandwidth to a device - I wanted to see if limiting upload bandwidth could reduce packet loss by leaving some overhead if that makes any sense?
Yes this rule will disable the firewall for your PS4 only (the specified internal IP address)

QOS, I would adivse setting up a rule to limit the whole DHCP range, then put the PS4 outside the DHCP (using the fixed host option)

Also try setting the MTU on your PS4 to auto, and then if the MTU is set to 1500 on your PS4 try lowering the MTU (eg 1400) once set, make sure you restart the router for changes to take effect)

Post Reply