BiPAC 7800N Wireless stopped working and cannot get back

Whistler

Re: BiPAC 7800N Wireless stopped working and cannot get back

Post by Whistler »

Hi denmayday,

I've also just had the same problem. The router is 4 years old so out of warranty - which means I might as well try your solution.

Just to prevent unnecessary damage though - are the screws on the base under each of the rubber feet, or is there one under the central label as well? It feels like there could be one under the label but don't want to rip it off if it's just a moulding bubble.

Regards,
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Looks like denmayday has moved on to pastures new, so in case anyone else wants to know about the screws - they ARE under the stick-on plastic feet (4 of them) and there is NOT a screw under the ID label on the base - it IS just a moulding bubble.

His solution didn't help with my router WIFI though.

EDIT

HOLD THE BUS A MINUTE!!! - (See my later post 2015-05-04)
Last edited by Whistler on Mon May 04, 2015 10:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
usermac

Post by usermac »

I recently got one of these 7800N only to find out the unit had a faulty wireless card so I sent it back and now got another one and guess what this one is not working either Billion shame on you I been let down twice with the same problem !
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

usermac wrote:I recently got one of these 7800N only to find out the unit had a faulty wireless card so I sent it back and now got another one and guess what this one is not working either Billion shame on you I been let down twice with the same problem !
Did you purchase a brand new one or a used one off ebay??
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

With reference to my previous post(s)

I've just had another go at the Billion 7800N router, and this time instead of using a softish paintbrush I used an old toothbrush to give both sides of the printed circuit board a damned good scrubbing with surgical spirit, and then dried it with a fan heater for five minutes- AND IT WORKED!

Wireless capability has been restored - YAY!!!

My thanks to denmayday for his original recommendation. Seems I wasn't brutal enough the last time I tried it.

If it stops again I'll come back and report.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

*** AND ***

There is quite a long series of posts on this Aussie forum talking about the same WIFI problem.

I didn't read them all, but the posts around 2014, talking about cleaning excessive soldering flux from the ic pins, might be worth a look.

This is perhaps what I unknowingly cleaned off with the surgical spirit toothbrush scrub. Some people recommend nail polish remover to be effective as well

p.s. (200ml bottle of surgical spirit from Tesco Pharmacy £1.30)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

*** AND ***

Just noticed a nice PDF on that forum from a Chris Humphris (his typo?) showing a HOW-TO, so thought a link might be appropriate.

He's talking about a different model, but the idea is the same.

My board however, did not have anything LIKE the amount of gunk on it that is shown in Chris's PDF. In fact I didn't notice anything at all when I first inspected my board.
My scrubadubdub was more in desperation than expectation, as my next fault procedure was to be the tried and trusted 'hammer and bin' solution.

So even if your board LOOKS ok, it might still be worth a try.

Worked for ME - and denmayday - and a few Australians!
SpirituaLee

Post by SpirituaLee »

Hi all, same issue here for me too. My 7800n is 4 years old though, so I've cracked it open for a gander.

Looks like the evil brown glue has become conductive and has corroded the surrounding components.

I'm going to attempt to clean it, however in trying to chip a bit off, I've oafishly removed a capacitor labelled C185. Any point cleaning it up now, as soldering it back on (is the size of an ants' anus) will prove really tricky.