7800N throttling download speeds

talkingbollox

7800N throttling download speeds

Post by talkingbollox »

Hi

So I'm now on a 80/20 fibre connection for a week now using the 7800N as a router with the Openreach modem.

I'm not happy that on all speed tests my download speed tops out at around 40Mbps, despite my BTW profile being nearer 78Mbps. After a week of diagnosis with my provider they suggested that I set up a direct PPPoE connection to the modem.

Lo and behold the reported speed was over 70Mbps. Therefore the conclusion is that the Billion is limiting the download speed. I read in a previous post that QoS settings would restrict speeds but I do not have QoS set up. Firmware is 1.06h.

What could be wrong? What settings can I tweak please? I really like Billion and don't wish to buy something new.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Re: 7800N throttling download speeds

Post by billion_fan »

talkingbollox wrote:Hi

So I'm now on a 80/20 fibre connection for a week now using the 7800N as a router with the Openreach modem.

I'm not happy that on all speed tests my download speed tops out at around 40Mbps, despite my BTW profile being nearer 78Mbps. After a week of diagnosis with my provider they suggested that I set up a direct PPPoE connection to the modem.

Lo and behold the reported speed was over 70Mbps. Therefore the conclusion is that the Billion is limiting the download speed. I read in a previous post that QoS settings would restrict speeds but I do not have QoS set up. Firmware is 1.06h.

What could be wrong? What settings can I tweak please? I really like Billion and don't wish to buy something new.

Thanks
Try upgrading to firmware 1.06h.dt2 found below, once upgraded reset the unit back to factory default settings (do not restore settings from previous firmware builds)

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... 0n-106hdt2

Then follow the steps below

1. Login to the device
2. Click on 'WAN' on the left hand side
3. Change the 'Main Port' to 'EWAN'
4. Change the 'Protocol' to PPPOE
5. Enter your username and password
6. Click on 'Apply'
7. Once rebooted and connected to the internet run a speed test again for a wired connection.
talkingbollox

Post by talkingbollox »

I have upgraded the firmware per your instructions and speed tested using ethernet. The new firmware hasn't increased the download speed at all.

I plugged the Plusnet router in for the first time and it zoomed up to 70Mbps+.

Disappointed.

Anything else to try?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

talkingbollox wrote:I have upgraded the firmware per your instructions and speed tested using ethernet. The new firmware hasn't increased the download speed at all.

I plugged the Plusnet router in for the first time and it zoomed up to 70Mbps+.

Disappointed.

Anything else to try?

Thanks
Maybe you can try using a different Ethernet cable in between the open reach modem and the 7800N, also try running the speedtest off a Ethernet connection. (if it was the QOS issue that would limit you to 30 mbps)

Other then that its a Ethernet PPPOE connection, so not sure what else will be limiting your speeds
talkingbollox

Post by talkingbollox »

I just swapped the Billion for the Plusnet router using the same cable from the modem. I also used the same cable from the router to the PC. 70Mbps+ using the Plusnet router but 40Mbps with the Billion before and after firmware upgrade. I was able to attain above 60 wirelessly using the Plusnet router too.

I did have QoS set up before switching to fibre, but had deleted those rules. I have factory reset at least twice since then so wonder what is restricting the download speeds.
talkingbollox

Post by talkingbollox »

I think I know what is causing the throttling.

If the URL filter is switched on either with Keywords Filtering or Domains Filtering or Time Schedule Always On enabled, the download speed is throttled to 40Mbps.

Would you confirm this behaviour please?

Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

talkingbollox wrote:I think I know what is causing the throttling.

If the URL filter is switched on either with Keywords Filtering or Domains Filtering or Time Schedule Always On enabled, the download speed is throttled to 40Mbps.

Would you confirm this behaviour please?

Thanks
Yes you are correct, let me inform our engineers and see what they suggest
Somebody

Post by Somebody »

Any feedback from the engineers yet, billion_fan? It would be nice to know.

I went and got a TP-Link VSDL modem router. With a discounted price and a £20 Bespoke voucher it was rude not to buy. It's good to know that I'm the only one with 5GHz wifi!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Somebody wrote:Any feedback from the engineers yet, billion_fan? It would be nice to know.

I went and got a TP-Link VSDL modem router. With a discounted price and a £20 Bespoke voucher it was rude not to buy. It's good to know that I'm the only one with 5GHz wifi!
No update from the engineers yet
Somebody

Post by Somebody »

Any update from the engineers yet, billion_fan? Thanks