BiPAC 7800N on 80/20 Circuit

Joppsta

BiPAC 7800N on 80/20 Circuit

Post by Joppsta »

Righto, let me preface this with ... I am an Openreach Field Engineer and I have the kit for testing the line at the wall. Currently it's giving me an up/down of 70/20 at the wall with my tester hooked up. When I use BTW Test with the Openreach modem/7800N combo it's giving me results I would expect. The thing that's got me asking questions regarding my connection is a voice application called Discord. For whatever reason I'm getting ping spikes. It goes from around 39ms (which is what I would expect) up to 1000+ms ping fairly regularly (at least once a minute). It averages out at around 300-500ms ping when running for an extended duration.

I am 100% certain this is a configuration rather than a hardware issue.. hardware being the modem/router/wiring. Although with respect to wiring it *could* be the ethernet wire between PC and billion router or router and modem. I think that's a stretch though. I do have the original HH3 I got when I first ordered but haven't tested with that and I also have a HH5 which I replaced after using for a couple months because it was janky with my S6 (dropping connection randomly).

For the record, this is the test immediately after me running the handheld tester on it to verify the speeds. I checked on the tester and not a single error too which is all the stranger.

Speedtest.net is giving me a contradiction however:

The Discord App graph of my ping to their server:

So basically I'm at a complete loss. It seems to be something software side but my fiercest googling has yielded no answers. My internet did crap the bed the other day but I think that was exclusively on my PC as I still had sync, I believe it was a DNS server issue (hadn't been playing with settings either, just randomly crapped it). System restoring seemed to "fix" it even though the restore didn't go through.

I guess to cut a long story short I'm a phone engineer without the slightest clue as to what the problem with my internet's throughput is... ironic in a way however I've only been trained to deal with simple things so far! :P

- Joppsta

TL;DR

Provider: BT
Router/Modem: Openreach Modem with 7800N
Connection: Wire
Problem: Ping spikes averaging out 300-500ms over long periods of time in Discord app ranging from 39ms-1000ms+
Joppsta

Re: BiPAC 7800N on 80/20 Circuit

Post by Joppsta »

I think I've nailed the mysterious ping issues to Battlenet.

Still, the download speed fluctuates wildly between 30-60 on speedtest.net. Any ideas on that? Not that it bothers me necessarily but it does indicate to me that there must be a problem somewhere, surely?
aesmith

Re: BiPAC 7800N on 80/20 Circuit

Post by aesmith »

I notice your upload speed on the BTW speed test looks a bit low, compared to how you say the line tests at the wall. Do you have any cloud services, iPhoto, Google Drive Synch or cloud backups? It's a lot easier to max out the upload than the download side on a DSL service, so that could be hurting your ping RTTs.

Tony S