SNR Target Change without immediate resynch?

aesmith

SNR Target Change without immediate resynch?

Post by aesmith »

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible with either the 7800N or 7800DXL to change the target SNR margin, but with the change only coming into effect at the next resynch rather than immediately. The reason being a fairly large SNR change between night and day, so I'd like to be able to leave the router running with a lower target just in case it resynchs of it's own accord during the night at any time. However I wouldn't want that to come into effect right away during the day, otherwise it would train up at some silly rate.

Thanks, Tony S
billion_fan

Re: SNR Target Change without immediate resynch?

Post by billion_fan »

aesmith wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible with either the 7800N or 7800DXL to change the target SNR margin, but with the change only coming into effect at the next resynch rather than immediately. The reason being a fairly large SNR change between night and day, so I'd like to be able to leave the router running with a lower target just in case it resynchs of it's own accord during the night at any time. However I wouldn't want that to come into effect right away during the day, otherwise it would train up at some silly rate.

Thanks, Tony S
No that's not possible when the SNR is adjusted on the router, the line will drop sync immediately
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Cheers. That's a shame because that was a useful capability on my old router, you could offset the SNR and save the setting so it would come into effect next resynch. I think I can work around it though, by choosing time of day to resync. The goal is to Never have a low speed connection as that would immediately cause a profile change.
slimgym

Post by slimgym »

I think you'd have to resync at the lowest reading and have to put up with it during the day being slower than necessary. BT DLM seems heavy-handed and would apply another 3dB if we had too many power cuts. Now with Sky who seem to run tests over several nights with a 2am resync, different margins and interleaves, next night another resync, when it stops happening you appear to be fixed and it's very tolerant of power cuts. If you get too many interruptions it makes the line stable and re-runs the tests. I have had consistently much better speeds over longer periods and a lot less frustration with the Sky DLM.

I'm 5.7km from the exchange, currently ADSL2+ 1781kbps 16/8 interleave with a 9.6dB margin. I have had it down to 3dB margin which gives 2.5Mbps however I think the errors upset the DLM after a while and you end up in a week of overnight tests and one day of about a meg :o The line is pretty stable at 2.5Mbps and no drop-outs but I can see the ES's clocking and know my time is short ;)
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

Being that far from the exchange, is Fibre a viable option for you ?

While I'm not promoting TalkTalk and find my ADSL ~6.5meg sufficient for my needs, they have a Fibre promotion on at the moment which will give you unlimited downloads as all of their packages do.

If you want more info then phone 020 3441 5550 or for a broader choice of suppliers, check these out -

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=best+broadband+fibre+uk
slimgym

Post by slimgym »

Thank you for the kind thought :) However our cab did not give BT the return they required to make it viable so they bypassed us (~140 homes on the cab in a radius of 2km). The council stepped in to say they would pay, then BT changed their mind and said they'd do it. The council moved the money elsewhere and BT are now saying 2017/2018. I can get fibre but on the business service only - 100mbps un-contended is an eye watering £487 a month on a minimum term of 5 years.

Somewhat annoying to see the fibre there, hanging from the pole ready to be connected, however I understand the huge capital investment BT have made to run the fibre and they want that back from those who sign up.