7800n with DSL Stats problem

jjaycee

7800n with DSL Stats problem

Post by jjaycee »

I bought the 7800n a few years ago because of it's reputation for being good if you are on a long line.
Because of the instability of my line and slow connection speed I use DSLStats to monitor constantly my SNR, speed CRC, FEC and ES data.
All has been working well until recently. I am now getting frequent messages via DSLStats the the program was "Unable to Log in to Router"
I have been on to the maker of DSLStats and Kitz forum to ask for help, and the consensus is that the router may be having slight memory leaks preventing the program from Telnet access. The solution is to reboot the router. This works fine but is not what I want to do as it invokes the exchange DLM system to start changing my connection speed normally initially upwards but that brings errors with it and then DLM knocks it back down to a much lower speed.
It is also suggested that there maybe a limitation to the number of allowed accesses to the routers Telnet data and once that is reached then to clear that, a reboot is required.
I am confused as to whether it is a router fault or program fault, because when i try a similar program to DSL Stats, like RouterStats Lite it has no problem accessing the router, but the program is nowhere near as detailed in error reporting than DSL Stats.
Is my router showing signs of a fault? Can I get some technical help to resolve this issue. The router is a replacement for my original one and is about 3 years old now.
billion_fan

Re: 7800n with DSL Stats problem

Post by billion_fan »

jjaycee wrote:I bought the 7800n a few years ago because of it's reputation for being good if you are on a long line.
Because of the instability of my line and slow connection speed I use DSLStats to monitor constantly my SNR, speed CRC, FEC and ES data.
All has been working well until recently. I am now getting frequent messages via DSLStats the the program was "Unable to Log in to Router"
I have been on to the maker of DSLStats and Kitz forum to ask for help, and the consensus is that the router may be having slight memory leaks preventing the program from Telnet access. The solution is to reboot the router. This works fine but is not what I want to do as it invokes the exchange DLM system to start changing my connection speed normally initially upwards but that brings errors with it and then DLM knocks it back down to a much lower speed.
It is also suggested that there maybe a limitation to the number of allowed accesses to the routers Telnet data and once that is reached then to clear that, a reboot is required.
I am confused as to whether it is a router fault or program fault, because when i try a similar program to DSL Stats, like RouterStats Lite it has no problem accessing the router, but the program is nowhere near as detailed in error reporting than DSL Stats.
Is my router showing signs of a fault? Can I get some technical help to resolve this issue. The router is a replacement for my original one and is about 3 years old now.
I have never heard of this issue before

If it was working before I don't think its a telnet limitation etc (a quick test to check this, once the DSL stats is unable to telnet into the device, try using a different PC to telnet into the router, if it works, then you know its not the router)

Are you using a wired PC to run DSL stats?? (if you are using a wireless connection, try a wired connection)

Also what firmware are you on??
jjaycee

Post by jjaycee »

I am on ethernet not wifi. Firmware is 1.06 h, the last that I know about.
jjaycee

Post by jjaycee »

Just to remind you that Routestats Lite works OK with no problem logging in to the router.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

jjaycee wrote:Just to remind you that Routestats Lite works OK with no problem logging in to the router.
I can't see a issue when using a wired connection, if routerstats works and it uses the same method of pulling stats from the router I can't see the router being the issue.

I think the next test will be to start a telnet session when DSL stats fails, to confirm if telnet is the issue or not
jjaycee

Post by jjaycee »

How would i do that? I am not that savvy on things like this. I don't have another PC.
jjaycee

Post by jjaycee »

OK I have just googled for telnet session in windows 10. It says amongst other things to tick on Telnet Client in windows features. Should this be permanently ticked to ON?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

jjaycee wrote:OK I have just googled for telnet session in windows 10. It says amongst other things to tick on Telnet Client in windows features. Should this be permanently ticked to ON?
Yes is you wish to use telnet client on your windows machine
slimgym

Post by slimgym »

One other thing is the router only allows one telnet session at a time so if you're logged in then routerstats won't be able to connect.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

billion_fan wrote:I can't see a issue when using a wired connection, if routerstats works and it uses the same method of pulling stats from the router I can't see the router being the issue.
Router Stats maintains a single continuous telnet session, whereas DSL Stats makes a new connection for each sample so is logging in and out every 60 seconds.