Billion 7800N Wifi "ghost"

Tismae

Billion 7800N Wifi "ghost"

Post by Tismae »

Hi there,

I've had my 7800N for quite a while now and more than happy with it (first used on EE ADSL/ADSL2) but now on Plusnet (BT) Fibre (FTTC).

I've never had a problem with it hence why I've not posted before (but have found some useful info on the forum in the past) but recently I have been using my Wifi more often (I tend to switch it on when I know I'm going to use it for a while).

However, I noticed the other day on my Windows 7 list of available Wifi networks that there was a SSID name that I recognised from a long time ago that indeed I had created for some reason I can't remember in the days I had EE. I always set my own recognisable SSID and I don't broadcast it.

I can connect to my proper SSID on my Billion 7800N perfectly OK, but for the life of me I don't know what or where this other SSID is but I know it's coming from my network because a) I created that name many moons ago and b) it disappears when I switch the 7800N off and re-appears when I switch it back on :?

I have even installed the free version of Acrylic Wifi and found that the MAC address of this "ghost" ends with the same characters as that "ghost" SSID, that it's capable of the same speed as my proper SSID (and of all the Wifi networks I can see, mine are the only two that show that speed) but that it's definitely showing up as being manufactured by TP-LINK (and the 7800N correctly shows as Billion). Interestingly though is that the signal strength from my 7800N is 5 bars as I would expect yet the "ghost" TP-LINK device is only 2 bars. Also, the Wifi channel numbers that it finds and the type of encryption keys I use are exactly the same for both my 7800N and this "ghost" so I'm sure it's coming from my network but how?

I have done a "factory reset" of the 7800N and the flash version is 1.06h so I'm really at a loss to understand what this TP-LINK related SSID is. The only TP-LINK kit I have on the network is a Homeplug system but these are purely LAN related with (as far as I'm aware !!) no Wifi capability and I can see their MAC addresses from the Powerline Utility and they are different from this "ghost" SSID. I have even tried unplugging the Homeplug units but that TP-LINK SSID still shows up. The Homeplug units are also assigned a name that is not the same as this "ghost".

Does anyone have any clues as to what may be happening. I'm sure the "ghost" can't be logged on to (I've tried using my main SSID password) but it's just bugging me as to what it is and why it's showing up.

Thanks

Colin
billion_fan

Re: Billion 7800N Wifi "ghost"

Post by billion_fan »

Tismae wrote:Hi there,

I've had my 7800N for quite a while now and more than happy with it (first used on EE ADSL/ADSL2) but now on Plusnet (BT) Fibre (FTTC).

I've never had a problem with it hence why I've not posted before (but have found some useful info on the forum in the past) but recently I have been using my Wifi more often (I tend to switch it on when I know I'm going to use it for a while).

However, I noticed the other day on my Windows 7 list of available Wifi networks that there was a SSID name that I recognised from a long time ago that indeed I had created for some reason I can't remember in the days I had EE. I always set my own recognisable SSID and I don't broadcast it.

I can connect to my proper SSID on my Billion 7800N perfectly OK, but for the life of me I don't know what or where this other SSID is but I know it's coming from my network because a) I created that name many moons ago and b) it disappears when I switch the 7800N off and re-appears when I switch it back on :?

I have even installed the free version of Acrylic Wifi and found that the MAC address of this "ghost" ends with the same characters as that "ghost" SSID, that it's capable of the same speed as my proper SSID (and of all the Wifi networks I can see, mine are the only two that show that speed) but that it's definitely showing up as being manufactured by TP-LINK (and the 7800N correctly shows as Billion). Interestingly though is that the signal strength from my 7800N is 5 bars as I would expect yet the "ghost" TP-LINK device is only 2 bars. Also, the Wifi channel numbers that it finds and the type of encryption keys I use are exactly the same for both my 7800N and this "ghost" so I'm sure it's coming from my network but how?

I have done a "factory reset" of the 7800N and the flash version is 1.06h so I'm really at a loss to understand what this TP-LINK related SSID is. The only TP-LINK kit I have on the network is a Homeplug system but these are purely LAN related with (as far as I'm aware !!) no Wifi capability and I can see their MAC addresses from the Powerline Utility and they are different from this "ghost" SSID. I have even tried unplugging the Homeplug units but that TP-LINK SSID still shows up. The Homeplug units are also assigned a name that is not the same as this "ghost".

Does anyone have any clues as to what may be happening. I'm sure the "ghost" can't be logged on to (I've tried using my main SSID password) but it's just bugging me as to what it is and why it's showing up.

Thanks

Colin
If the MAC address is showing up as a TP-Link and the signal is different, it must be a TP-link device located somewhere near by (hence you can pick up the signal and showing as only 2 bars)

The 7800N does not have a multiple SSID support so it can't be the 7800N.

It might be a neighbour or device located somewhere, you might want to wonder around and see where the signal gets stronger so you try and pin point the device.

This is a very strange case, I must admit
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

I don't know if PlusNet do the same as BT but BT piggy back what they used to call BTFon or something similar.

This is a Hotspot using your connection that others can use as a payable service and is why it disappears when you switch the router off.

This has no impact on your bandwidth or your connection.

However if it isn't a Hotspot, go Start - type regedit and press enter - accept the UAC and navigate -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/NetworlList/Profiles

Click on each of the keys and see if that name appears in the right pane - if it's there then it will also be in Signatures/Unmanaged.

Post a snip if it is.

Download inSSIDer3 and post a snip of that, pointing out which one is yours and the "ghost".

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

When the right pane populates, click on Networks and then you will see the channels and signal strengths of any other users.
Tismae

Post by Tismae »

Well, an update on my mysterious "ghost SSID"

I should enter Victor Meldrew mode and say "I don't believe it" as my "gost" SSID that looked remarkably the same as an old SSID that I'd created when I was using Orange (EE) ADSL actually turns out to be my neighbours TP-Link Powerline (HomePlug) Wifi adapter.

The reason the SSID looked familiar is that doubly spookily, the default SSID set by TP-LINK for that one device supplied "out of the box" was indeed TP-LINK_EED1CA and that the MAC address of the adapter actually ends in EE:D1:CA - absolutely incredible as they were the characters of my EE SSID four years ago :shock: !!

I had a slight suspicion it could be my neighbour as a few months back I'd found their daughters iPhone IP address in my DHCP client table and it was then that I discovered how flawed the HomePlug concept is - especially if you use the default "HomePlug" network name and also (because we live in an old village) you have an electricity supply layout that allows "leakage" back through the cables to any nearby property also using the HomePlug adapters (which I was but only the Lan based version).

So, several months back I renamed my HomePlug network, changed various passwords and closely monitor my DHCP client list. I'm also planning to ditch the HomePlugs altogether and go back to CAT6 cables (a bit fiddly in an old house but at least I know that's secure as can be).

I even managed to get my neighbours HomePlug working correctly (they said the Wifi bit never work for them even though I could see their SSID, they didn't know what that was !!) - my neighbours are honest but not at all computer literate (well, the kids know all about iPhones and "Apps" which these days classes them as IT experts I guess) and it's scary that they thought just plugging it all in "out of the box" would be just fine !!

Anyway, I've also now changed my router / modem to a TP-LINK N600 TD-W9980 as I was getting a little frustrated by the 7800N's "quirkiness" and sometimes either an overly complicated setup or things not always working as they should (like the reset instigated through the control panel would often do a complete factory reset/restart even though I'd saved my config and made sure I had ticket the "use current settings" button).

I bought the 7800N ages ago to allow me to turn down the SNR noise value that EE has persistently refused to do (up around 12) which was severely impacting on my BB speeds even though there was little noise on the line. With the 7800N I turned it down to 3 and it ran fine like that for ages with no lost packets or drop-outs. Then at the first opportunity, I told EE where to go and switched to Plusnet who have been brilliant so far in ADSL2 and now VDSL. So bye bye EWAN, bye bye Openreach modem and bye bye 7800N with now just one smart black box to control everything (and a resolution, albeit not the 7800N's fault, to my "ghost" SSID :)