7800 DXL Possible lightning damage?

jpirie

7800 DXL Possible lightning damage?

Post by jpirie »

Hello all,
My 7800 DXL suddenly dropped sync speed from 9600 kbps on an ADSL2+ line to around 3500kbps following a lightning storm which took out my DECT base set. Sounds very much like the Billion has finally been damaged.
I will be trying to replace it but, can anyone offer a possible solution to this before I do?
What have tried:
Plugging in to the B.T. test socket
A new phone cable
Re flashing the firmware
None of these improve the sync speed.

I have a spare modem in the form of a netgear DG834G which is syncing at over 9000kbps so it's not a line or exchange issue.

Quite sad about this, I've owned the Billion since new and it's been fantastic. If I cannot source another are there any current Billion models with similar capabilities? I believe the Broadcom chipset suits our ancient and far away exchange so that would be desirable in any replacement as well as the ability to tweak the SNR when required which has been useful over the years I've owned this unit.

Thanks for any helpful input you can offer.

James
billion_fan

Re: 7800 DXL Possible lightning damage?

Post by billion_fan »

jpirie wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:13 am Hello all,
My 7800 DXL suddenly dropped sync speed from 9600 kbps on an ADSL2+ line to around 3500kbps following a lightning storm which took out my DECT base set. Sounds very much like the Billion has finally been damaged.
I will be trying to replace it but, can anyone offer a possible solution to this before I do?
What have tried:
Plugging in to the B.T. test socket
A new phone cable
Re flashing the firmware
None of these improve the sync speed.

I have a spare modem in the form of a netgear DG834G which is syncing at over 9000kbps so it's not a line or exchange issue.

Quite sad about this, I've owned the Billion since new and it's been fantastic. If I cannot source another are there any current Billion models with similar capabilities? I believe the Broadcom chipset suits our ancient and far away exchange so that would be desirable in any replacement as well as the ability to tweak the SNR when required which has been useful over the years I've owned this unit.

Thanks for any helpful input you can offer.

James
Sounds like the lightning strike has damaged the DSL chip. (seen this before, normally it won't even sync after a lightning strike)

Only option is a replacement, you can buy a new one here

https://www.zcomax.co.uk/7800DXL.html