Billion BiPAC 7800DX port forwarding issue

Boarders

Billion BiPAC 7800DX port forwarding issue

Post by Boarders »

Hi guys,

I've just setup a new Billion router at work currently using a 4G Huawei dongle (E3276) on the Optus network (Australia) whilst we get an alternative internet connection enabled. The router is connected to a 16 port unmanaged switch (TP-Link TL-SG1016) which runs into a patch panel and then onto data points within the rooms.

Our IP phone system (Avaya IP Office) is also connected to the router for its internet connection and to the patch panel for each phone, and a Synology DS216 NAS is connected to the router. The Syno has an address XXXXX.synology.me via their DDNS servers, which report it as online.

I've been trying to access the NAS remotely as I'd like to have remote management of it as well as have the local backups upload to another Synology located at home. In order to do this, I've been trying to forward ports 5000 and 5001 to the IP of the NAS on the local network (10.1.1.3), however when I try to remotely access the NAS, the ports seem to be closed. I can access my home NAS remotely using port forwarding on a Billion BiPAC 7800DXL without issue, so I'm fairly confident I know what I'm doing :$.

In order to forward the port, I've clicked on "configuration" > "Security" > "IP Filtering Incoming" > selected both TCP/UDP, entered destination IP 10.1.1.3 listed no source port but added destinations 5000 and 5001 (for http and https respectively). The NAS should automatically move all traffic on port 5000 to 5001 anyway as HTTPS is forced in the NAS settings.

How can I get this to work? Is it possible the phone system is interfering in some way as I think it may have it's own DHCP for each of the phones connected to it?

Hopefully what I've written makes sense.

Thanks,
Nick
billion_fan

Re: Billion BiPAC 7800DX port forwarding issue

Post by billion_fan »

Boarders wrote:Hi guys,

I've just setup a new Billion router at work currently using a 4G Huawei dongle (E3276) on the Optus network (Australia) whilst we get an alternative internet connection enabled. The router is connected to a 16 port unmanaged switch (TP-Link TL-SG1016) which runs into a patch panel and then onto data points within the rooms.

Our IP phone system (Avaya IP Office) is also connected to the router for its internet connection and to the patch panel for each phone, and a Synology DS216 NAS is connected to the router. The Syno has an address XXXXX.synology.me via their DDNS servers, which report it as online.

I've been trying to access the NAS remotely as I'd like to have remote management of it as well as have the local backups upload to another Synology located at home. In order to do this, I've been trying to forward ports 5000 and 5001 to the IP of the NAS on the local network (10.1.1.3), however when I try to remotely access the NAS, the ports seem to be closed. I can access my home NAS remotely using port forwarding on a Billion BiPAC 7800DXL without issue, so I'm fairly confident I know what I'm doing :$.

In order to forward the port, I've clicked on "configuration" > "Security" > "IP Filtering Incoming" > selected both TCP/UDP, entered destination IP 10.1.1.3 listed no source port but added destinations 5000 and 5001 (for http and https respectively). The NAS should automatically move all traffic on port 5000 to 5001 anyway as HTTPS is forced in the NAS settings.

How can I get this to work? Is it possible the phone system is interfering in some way as I think it may have it's own DHCP for each of the phones connected to it?

Hopefully what I've written makes sense.

Thanks,
Nick
You need to use the 'Configuration >> NAT >> Virtual Server' option to open your ports, you need to delete any rules added to the IP filtering incoming section, as these are not needed.

When adding a Virtual server rule make sure you select the correct 'Interface' to correspond to your current WAN interface

Also what WAN IP address is the Billion router obtaining from the E3276, if this is a internal IP address, eg 192.168.1.x, then you will have to set DMZ/port forwarding on the dongle also, as it might be running like a router (assigning a internal IP to the Billion) and running NAT.

Another thing to try to confirm if you are running double NAT is trying the remote access feature on the router, once enabled if you can't gain remote access to the router, then you are most likely running double NAT
Boarders

Post by Boarders »

Hey billion_fan, thanks for your advice.

I had a look and I'd actually configured the virtual server section so I deleted the IP filtering configuration.

How can I check whether the dongle is acting as a DNS server and NAT device? If it is, how can I change it?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Boarders wrote:Hey billion_fan, thanks for your advice.

I had a look and I'd actually configured the virtual server section so I deleted the IP filtering configuration.

How can I check whether the dongle is acting as a DNS server and NAT device? If it is, how can I change it?
You will have to check the IP address that router obtains from the dongle, if it is a internal IP address eg 192.168.xxx.xxx then most likely running like a router (running NAT)

You can only change this within the dongle it self. (if it has a IP address so you can login into it and make changes)
Boarders

Post by Boarders »

Hi billion_fan,

Thanks again. Where in the router menus can I check this?

Under Status > WAN, there is an entry for ppp3g0 with an IPv4 address of 10.1.150.175 and DNS as 198.142.0.51, 211.29.132.12 so I assume the dongle is acting as a NAT itself?

Ta.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Boarders wrote:Hi billion_fan,

Thanks again. Where in the router menus can I check this?

Under Status > WAN, there is an entry for ppp3g0 with an IPv4 address of 10.1.150.175 and DNS as 198.142.0.51, 211.29.132.12 so I assume the dongle is acting as a NAT itself?

Ta.
It might not be, the next step will be to try the following

1. Check whatsmyip.org from a device connected to router, note this down
2. Login to router and click on 'Advanced Setup >> Management >> Remote Access'
3. Enable the 'Remote Access' feature and click on 'Apply'
4. From a remote connection (a connection not connected to the router) try to access the IP address you noted down on step 1, if you have added a virtual server rule for port 80, the routers external port will change to port 8080 eg http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080

If you can gain access to router web gui with remote access enabled from a remote internet connection, then you should be able to port forward, if you can't then your ISP is running NAT

In the UK we normally have to purchase a special static IP sim, to ensure the ISP are not running NAT eg normal ISP like EE or Vodafone the connection is behind NAT.
Boarders

Post by Boarders »

Unfortunately I was unable to access the router remotely so it looks like I'm double NAT'd.