Bipac 7800DXL in France - Config help needed

ellipsis

Bipac 7800DXL in France - Config help needed

Post by ellipsis »

Hi folks,

I have a house in France and I'm getting really tired of paying monthly rentals for a Livebox router from Orange. I want to install a 7800DXL in it's place, primarily due to the rental costs.

I have FTTC but only 2Mb/s (in reality 1Mb/s). Can anyone share experience of configuration, and any possible pitfalls?

Thanks enormously for any help.
billion_fan

Re: Bipac 7800DXL in France - Config help needed

Post by billion_fan »

ellipsis wrote:Hi folks,

I have a house in France and I'm getting really tired of paying monthly rentals for a Livebox router from Orange. I want to install a 7800DXL in it's place, primarily due to the rental costs.

I have FTTC but only 2Mb/s (in reality 1Mb/s). Can anyone share experience of configuration, and any possible pitfalls?

Thanks enormously for any help.
I can't advise on the settings used in France, but if you are on a FTTC service you will need use a third party modem, in front of the 7800DXL (as the 7800DXL only has a ADSL modem built in)

So FTTC Modem >>> EWAN Port 7800DXL, then setup the 7800DXL for a 'Ethernet' WAN connection, selecting the correct type eg PPPOE or IPOE
ellipsis

Post by ellipsis »

Thanks billion_fan.

I have a spare openreach modem (ECI Telecom Model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r Rev.B / Item Code 061513).

Would that be suitable, or do you have any better suggestions?

Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

ellipsis wrote:Thanks billion_fan.

I have a spare openreach modem (ECI Telecom Model B-FOCuS V-2FUb/r Rev.B / Item Code 061513).

Would that be suitable, or do you have any better suggestions?

Thanks
It might not work as the Open Reach modem has the VLAN tagged to 101 (BT Default Settings), if France do not use this option or have the VLAN tagged to the different value you might have issues,

If that fails you can purchase a 8800NL R2 which will also do the job of a modem, (when set to Bridging mode) you can set the VLAN as needed on our device