Ethernet Issues

greshoff

Ethernet Issues

Post by greshoff »

I have a Billion BiPAC 7800DXL running firmware 2.32e. Last night without warning or having suffered any issues in the past the ethernet ports appear to have stopped working although the wireless seems to be OK. I am unable to access the router through the web interface on my main computer. One of the 2 devices connected to the router via homeplugs can't access the internet.

I connected my laptop to the router and this can access access the router through the web interface via wifi. I am really stuck on how to troubleshoot this issue. I have rebooted the router, replaced the ethernet cables.I thought it might have been the ethernet port on my main computer but this wouldn't explain the loss of internet connection via the homeplug.

Any ideas on how to proceed.
billion_fan

Re: Ethernet Issues

Post by billion_fan »

greshoff wrote:I have a Billion BiPAC 7800DXL running firmware 2.32e. Last night without warning or having suffered any issues in the past the ethernet ports appear to have stopped working although the wireless seems to be OK. I am unable to access the router through the web interface on my main computer. One of the 2 devices connected to the router via homeplugs can't access the internet.

I connected my laptop to the router and this can access access the router through the web interface via wifi. I am really stuck on how to troubleshoot this issue. I have rebooted the router, replaced the ethernet cables.I thought it might have been the ethernet port on my main computer but this wouldn't explain the loss of internet connection via the homeplug.

Any ideas on how to proceed.
Have you tried using a different Ethernet ports??

You stated one of 2 devices connected via homplugs can't access the router, does this mean the one device can access internet/router through the homeplug connection?? On you main computer can you still access the internet??

Attached is a newer firmware 2.32e.dl6, try upgrading your device, and once upgraded reset the unit back to factory default settings to ensure all changes within the firmware are implemented correctly, do not restore settings from previous firmware builds.

Also try turn off the device, disconnect all devices leaving on your main PC connected, turn on the device and see what IP address your main computer gets from the router
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greshoff

Post by greshoff »

Thank you for your reply. Yes one of the devices connected to the router via homeplug can connect to internet. There is NO internet connection on main computer. I have tried connecting to main computer to all the Ethernet ports.

I'll try the new firmware you sent.

Regarding your suggestion of:
Also try turn off the device, disconnect all devices leaving on your main PC connected, turn on the device and see what IP address your main computer gets from the router

I am unsure which device you are referring to. Do you mean turning off the router and disconnecting all ethernet cables apart from the onr going to main computer?

Many thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

greshoff wrote:Thank you for your reply. Yes one of the devices connected to the router via homeplug can connect to internet. There is NO internet connection on main computer. I have tried connecting to main computer to all the Ethernet ports.

I'll try the new firmware you sent.

Regarding your suggestion of:

I am unsure which device you are referring to. Do you mean turning off the router and disconnecting all ethernet cables apart from the onr going to main computer?

Many thanks
That's right turn off the router, disconnect all Ethernet cables from the router, leaving your main PC connected via Ethernet turn on the router and see what IP address is assigned to your PC once the router has fully booted up
greshoff

Post by greshoff »

Thanks, I'll try this when I get back home. Excuse my ignorance but how do I check what IP address is assigned to the PC once the router has fully booted up?

Many thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

greshoff wrote:Thanks, I'll try this when I get back home. Excuse my ignorance but how do I check what IP address is assigned to the PC once the router has fully booted up?

Many thanks
With a windows 7 PC, click on Start >> Accessories >> Command Prompt (with windows 10, press the windows button on your keyboard and 'R' at the same time, a run box will pop up and in the run box type 'cmd' and press enter), command prompt will load within command prompt type 'ipconfig' and press enter, then scroll up or down and look for the 'Local Area Connection' (your Ethernet connection) and look for the Ipv4 address, subnet mask, default gateway)

If you haven't changed the routers LAN IP or DHCP range, you should get

IP address - 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway - 192.168.1.254

On a mac go to your System Preferences >> Network >> Select your Ethernet connection on the left hand side, click on 'Advanced' then click on the TCP/IP tab, and it should show your IP address, subnet mask, gateway (the IP address etc should be the same as listed above)
greshoff

Post by greshoff »

Many thanks, I'll report back
greshoff

Post by greshoff »

I turned off the router disconnected all Ethernet cables apart from the one leading to the main PC, restarted the router and checked the IP address is assigned to the PC. It was all as you suggested. Reconnected the other Ethernet leads. I also went through the trouble shooting network issues wizard in Windows 10 which reset the adapter but said there was an ip address issue. Then after 5 minutes the internet started working on the main PC. It dropped connection once or twice. I again unplugged the Ethernet cables one by one and the internet came back. Currently all leads are connected to router and the internet seems OK. I have yet to check the devices connected by homeplug
wanstronian

Post by wanstronian »

Did you ever solve this problem? My 7800DXL has started to ignore wired connections and *some* wireless connections. For example, my main PC, connected directly via ethernet, will not connect. My Sky Q box, wireless over the 2.4g connection, will not connect. My work laptop, connected on the 5Ghz, works okay. My personal phone connects over 5Ghz, my work phone connects over 2.4GHz. My TV, connected via a dumb switch over ethernet, won't connect.

No rhyme nor reason to it. I'd rather not buy a new router, but all the evidence points towards the router failing.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

wanstronian wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:45 pm Did you ever solve this problem? My 7800DXL has started to ignore wired connections and *some* wireless connections. For example, my main PC, connected directly via ethernet, will not connect. My Sky Q box, wireless over the 2.4g connection, will not connect. My work laptop, connected on the 5Ghz, works okay. My personal phone connects over 5Ghz, my work phone connects over 2.4GHz. My TV, connected via a dumb switch over ethernet, won't connect.

No rhyme nor reason to it. I'd rather not buy a new router, but all the evidence points towards the router failing.
Attached is the latest firmware, try upgrading the firmware and once upgraded reset the device back to factory default settings., and manually reconfigure again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.