Regular router reboot

BlartyFargo

Regular router reboot

Post by BlartyFargo »

Hi all

I use the "Auto Reboot" setting of my 7800DXL to reboot once a week.

Out of interest, what do other users do? - do you reboot regularly, and if so how often? Or do you never reboot? - and why not?

A quick Google about router rebooting reveals "never" to "once a day".

I know if your reboot too often it's a signal to your exchange that you have a bad connection and your connection will be throttled.

Cheers

Blarty
aesmith

Re: Regular router reboot

Post by aesmith »

In my opinion decent quality gear shouldn't need a reboot just to keep normal operation, so mine doesn't get rebooted except when there's a power cut. To turn your question around, what benefit do you see from the reboot, or what degradation if you don't do so?

Two reasons not to reboot a home ADSL router are generally given (1) as you say the disconnection is seen as an error by the DSLAM and line management, so could contribute to the system taking action to slow down the connection. (2) many lines have higher noise levels overnight, so if you reboot overnight it will connect at a slower speed. To qualify these points, the threshold for ADSL is I believe 10 disconnections in a day before the line is classed as poor (Indicative Line Quality = Red).
m-a-r-k

Post by m-a-r-k »

I never reboot unless absolutely necessary such as after a big configuration change.
With my VDSL the SNR falls and with it the line speed increases the longer the connection is up.
I see no advantages in a reboot.
BlartyFargo

Post by BlartyFargo »

Thanks for all the replies!

After reading as much as I can on this subject on the Internet, it's clear folks are divided on this issue.

However, I am going to carry on rebooting once a week using the "Auto Reboot" setting of my 7800DXL.

Thanks

Blarty