7800DXL - allow guest SSID to talk to main SSID

aesmith

7800DXL - allow guest SSID to talk to main SSID

Post by aesmith »

Hi,

I have two SSID configured on my 7800DXL, the main one and a separate one configured using the Guest/Virtual Access Points settings below. None of the Isolation or Hide options are ticked. The reason for the two SSIDs is that one is shared by an additional but slightly flakey AP at the front of the house so devices using that will roam as needed. The other one is configured only on the Billion so if you choose that the device does not roam onto the potentially flakey AP. So I don't want specific Guest operation, I want both to offer full access.

My reading suggests that this access is controlled by Groups, configured under "Configuration/LAN/Interface Grouping", but I'm unclear on some of the exact settings. On that screen I see only one group, "Default" and that contains all four Ethernet ports and both SSIDs, each SSID appearing twice presumably for 2.4 and 5GHz, at the top of the screen "Groups Isolation" is unticked. Based on that I'd expect everything to be able to see each other. However that's not the case, devices on both SSIDs can see stuff on the LAN or access the Internet, but devices on one SSID can't see devices on the other.

What have I missed? Should I be creating a new group for everything, rather than leaving just the Default group?

Thanks, Tony S
billion_fan

Re: 7800DXL - allow guest SSID to talk to main SSID

Post by billion_fan »

aesmith wrote:Hi,

I have two SSID configured on my 7800DXL, the main one and a separate one configured using the Guest/Virtual Access Points settings below. None of the Isolation or Hide options are ticked. The reason for the two SSIDs is that one is shared by an additional but slightly flakey AP at the front of the house so devices using that will roam as needed. The other one is configured only on the Billion so if you choose that the device does not roam onto the potentially flakey AP. So I don't want specific Guest operation, I want both to offer full access.

My reading suggests that this access is controlled by Groups, configured under "Configuration/LAN/Interface Grouping", but I'm unclear on some of the exact settings. On that screen I see only one group, "Default" and that contains all four Ethernet ports and both SSIDs, each SSID appearing twice presumably for 2.4 and 5GHz, at the top of the screen "Groups Isolation" is unticked. Based on that I'd expect everything to be able to see each other. However that's not the case, devices on both SSIDs can see stuff on the LAN or access the Internet, but devices on one SSID can't see devices on the other.

What have I missed? Should I be creating a new group for everything, rather than leaving just the Default group?

Thanks, Tony S
Can devices ping each other?? so device one connected to SSID 1, = 192.168.1.100, device two connected to SSID 2 = 192.168.1.101, can 192.168.1.100 ping 192.168.1.101??

You should only use Interface Grouping if you want to isolate ports/SSID's.

Client isolation needs to be unticked for the main SSID and the virtual/guest SSID

Also attached is latest firmware, with this firmware you need to upgrade, reset back to factory default, then manually reconfigure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Thanks. None of the "Client Isolation" options are ticked on any of the SSIDs, nor is "Groups Isolation" ticked on the Default interface group. I must say that I'm seeing some inconsistencies when I tested just now, so I think need to review exactly what I'm seeing. Particularly as the main SSID is the one replicated on the second AP, so devices associated to that one will appear to the Billion as being on the LAN. Testing with the second AP switched off is needed.

You can confirm that with my configuration, everything should be able to talk to each other? Nothing I've missed? I'm already running 2.32e, I think that's been out for a while.

Thanks,
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

aesmith wrote:Thanks. None of the "Client Isolation" options are ticked on any of the SSIDs, nor is "Groups Isolation" ticked on the Default interface group. I must say that I'm seeing some inconsistencies when I tested just now, so I think need to review exactly what I'm seeing. Particularly as the main SSID is the one replicated on the second AP, so devices associated to that one will appear to the Billion as being on the LAN. Testing with the second AP switched off is needed.

You can confirm that with my configuration, everything should be able to talk to each other? Nothing I've missed? I'm already running 2.32e, I think that's been out for a while.

Thanks,
Yes your configuration should be fine eg client isolation off, and all SSID's in the default group