[22/1/2014] New 2.32d firmware for 7800DX/DXL/VDOX

billion_fan

Re: [22/1/2014] New 2.32d firmware for 7800DX/DXL/VDOX

Post by billion_fan »

BadMelonFarmer wrote:I will keep an eye on it and keep trying it to see if I can reproduce it.... If I can I will report back
Keep me posted
MartinW

Post by MartinW »

Hello,

your advisory on how to implement a firmware upgrade recommends selecting "Restart Device" with "Factory Default Settings" as opposed to "Current Settings" and then says you will have to reconfigure back to your custom settings. This is required in order to ensure "all changes within the firmware are implemented correctly".

Is this *really* necessary? I can't remember what I have reconfigured and what I haven't so this puts me off implementing this change. It does beg the question why is the restart with current settings an option here at all?

If I do use factory settings is there any facility to store the current configbeforehand and then bring this in afterwards? Or store the settings in a text file for reference?

TIA
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

MartinW wrote:Hello,

your advisory on how to implement a firmware upgrade recommends selecting "Restart Device" with "Factory Default Settings" as opposed to "Current Settings" and then says you will have to reconfigure back to your custom settings. This is required in order to ensure "all changes within the firmware are implemented correctly".

Is this *really* necessary? I can't remember what I have reconfigured and what I haven't so this puts me off implementing this change. It does beg the question why is the restart with current settings an option here at all?

If I do use factory settings is there any facility to store the current configbeforehand and then bring this in afterwards? Or store the settings in a text file for reference?

TIA
The reset back to factory default setting is precautionary measure, and we always state to restore back to factory default settings after the firmware update, also we recommend on not restoring settings from previous firmware builds, this is becuase there are some new features within the firmware, and new a configuration build might be needed.

Saying that some customers have been fine with upgrading the router with 'Current Settings' set, so my advise will be upgrade the firmware with 'Currnet Settings' set, if you run into issues, then a factory reset is the way to go.

You can make a backup of your current config by logging onto the router, and navigating to 'Configuration >> System >> Backup/Update' click on the 'Backup Settings ' button and save the file to a location on your computer.
MartinW

Post by MartinW »

Thanks for that. Message understood. Sorry I missed the backup settings option so thanks for that as well.
afeakes

Post by afeakes »

HI, Once you have updated firmware with a factory restore - can you reload your configuration from the backup you made prior to the upgrade or do you have to manually reenter all the configuration?

Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

afeakes wrote:HI, Once you have updated firmware with a factory restore - can you reload your configuration from the backup you made prior to the upgrade or do you have to manually reenter all the configuration?

Thanks
You can try and upgrade the firmware with current settings selected this has to be selected on the firmware upgrade page before upgrading your unit. (the router will still have your settings entered after the firmware upgrade), if you have issues then reset back to factory defaults and manually reconfigure the device, as mentioned on my previous post
aniseedvan

Post by aniseedvan »

I think it would be really handy if you could just back up/save the mac addresses in the Mac filters. I confess I've just updated mine and kept the settings as it was mildly annoying to type them all in after the last one.

That very minor gripe aside, I'm looking forward to setting up my E5776 as a backup modem. I'm expecting some short term power outages over the course of the next month with building works being done so having a backup (I've got a little UPS) will mean I should be able to carry on working.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

aniseedvan wrote:I think it would be really handy if you could just back up/save the mac addresses in the Mac filters. I confess I've just updated mine and kept the settings as it was mildly annoying to type them all in after the last one.

That very minor gripe aside, I'm looking forward to setting up my E5776 as a backup modem. I'm expecting some short term power outages over the course of the next month with building works being done so having a backup (I've got a little UPS) will mean I should be able to carry on working.
Don't think that 3G dongle is compatible

Here is list of compatible 3G/4G devices for the 7800xxx

http://www.billion.uk.com/compatible-3G ... eries.html
gpvecchi

Post by gpvecchi »

Question: may I flash 2.32d_da1 on every version, or do I need to be on 2.32d before? Thanks!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

gpvecchi wrote:Question: may I flash 2.32d_da1 on every version, or do I need to be on 2.32d before? Thanks!
You can flash straight to 2.32d.da1