New Products Released - 7800DXL AND 7800VDOX

billion_fan

Re: New Products Release 7800DXL AND 7800VDOX

Post by billion_fan »

Spudgun wrote:
billion_fan wrote:
Spudgun wrote:How do sync rates compare with the 7800N and is there still an ability to change SNR percentages in the router setup?
The sync rates are really good, and yes you can change the SNR to a set value,

Attached is a screen capture of the SNR page on the 7800VDOX
Thanks for the reply and information. Where you say sync speeds are really good, are they better (e.g. higher) than the 7800N or about the same as the 7800N didn't seem to like my line very much and syncs about 1mb slower than 2 other broadcom chipset routers that I have tried

After I tweaked the SNR, the speeds where a bit better, but as my 7800N was also tweaked I can only compare both tweaked speeds. (I don't want to plug my 7800N up again, setting up my wireless extenders etc is a pain)
spud989

Re: New Products Released - 7800DXL AND 7800VDOX

Post by spud989 »

Hi

I'd like to get my hands on a 7800DXL for use with my Sky Fibre. I have a couple of questions:

- is it offering any sort of speed/performance increase compared to a 7800N with the updated firmware?
- is it compatible with Synology's DSM software for integration with my NAS?
- a quick google suggests BroadbandBuyer.co.uk seems to be the only place stocking it at the moment at 140 inc. VAT. What sort of price point can we expect it to settle at? Will it be available on Amazon/others within a few days? I want to get the device, but if somewhere else will have it for a tenner less in a few days I'm happy to wait!

Thanks in advance from a keen new customer :)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

spud989 wrote:Hi

I'd like to get my hands on a 7800DXL for use with my Sky Fibre. I have a couple of questions:

- is it offering any sort of speed/performance increase compared to a 7800N with the updated firmware?
- a quick google suggests BroadbandBuyer.co.uk seems to be the only place stocking it at the moment at 140 inc. VAT. What sort of price point can we expect it to settle at? Will it be available on Amazon/others within a few days? I want to get the device, but if somewhere else will have it for a tenner less in a few days I'm happy to wait!

Thanks in advance from a keen new customer :)
If using Fibre, the Sky Modem will sync with the exchange, but the 7800DXL has a high WAN throughput, much higher then the 7800n

It should work just like the 7800n, we don't expect to run into any issues with NAS devices

I'll check with sales and get back to you
spud989

Post by spud989 »

Ok, thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

spud989 wrote:Ok, thanks

It'll be weeks/months before both models are available everywhere, as it will take some time to build up the stock levels in the UK.
spud989

Post by spud989 »

OK, fair enough. Just ordered on BroadbandBuyer :)
Tomken

Post by Tomken »

The SNR tweak looks a lot more simplified and practical way rather than having to refer to a table which I've only ever seen supplied by http://www.spaldwick.com/billion-7800n and was lacking in finer detail.

The reason I bought my 7800N was to replace my ISP supplied router which wasn't very good at hanging on to a connection with a 50dB attenuation in the evenings when the SNRM dropped and for my basic needs on a laptop, is already an overkill with its current capabilities - but while they look a lot more future proof - do I really need to spend ~£140 for all I only need at the moment ?
Dadof4

Post by Dadof4 »

Hi all. Just received my 7800dxl yesterday. I had a speedtouch 585 for over 7-8 years and it finally died. Initially I upgraded to the Asus RT-N55u which looked very nice and despite being fast on ADSL, it regularly dropped the line ( I am just on the edge of ADSL being far from the exchange) so I I then tried the RT-66U router with a TPLink modem which was slower but steady. Here's the thing though, both the 55 and the 66 kept dropping connection to my wife's ipad on the 5GHz channel especially when streaming video. The thing I found with the ipad was that on 2.4GHZ channel it hogged almost all the bandwidth leaving little for the other devices in the home, PS3 PS VITA, laptop and home pc which is why I sent my 3rd modem back, the 7800N. I tried everything.

On to the 7800dxl. Its a little chunky looking but very well vented. I am new to tweaking snr so please bear with me. The values it allows for are -1 to I think 9 but it allows for decimal places. I have set mine at 1.3 and its rock soild with the fastest speed I can get out of it at the mo. I will never have a fast broadband line( I am 896 down and 576 up), but so far the ipad is streaming movies steadily on 5GHz whilst at the same time on 2.4GHZ WiFi, I am downloading about 12 gig of games on the PS3, surfing the web on the laptop, there is a ps vita playing online games and the home PC is doing a windows update download all without a single hitch! Cant wait for our 4g dongle...

The only down side to the 7800dxl is that it only has one USB port and also the WiFi range isn't that great at all, in fact with respect to WiFi range, it actually gets beaten by the asus' and my old speedtouch.

Other than that and I'm sure time will tell, but so far so good very happy with it.
spud989

Post by spud989 »

Can someone help me with settings for sky fibre? I used wireshark to get them from the old router, but it keeps telling me that setup has failed, no matter what combination of settings I use. Maybe im just an idiot!

'wan setting is not euccesful'
quishuk

Post by quishuk »

These are the settings I used for MER except I used the latest firmware.

MER Settings:

1) Login to 7800N via Http.

2) Upgrade the beta firmware 1.06f.dm3.zip

3) Restart to the Factory Default Settings

4) Please choose the protocol as MPoA (RFC1483/RFC2684, Multiprotocol Encapsulation over AAL5)

5) Please enter VCI / VPI as 0/40

5) Please input the client ID as username and password separate with "|" e.g. username|password

Sorry just realised you are on fibre :(