VPN connections crash router

swatboy79

VPN connections crash router

Post by swatboy79 »

Several times now, and EVERY time, whenever I use a windows based software VPN connections of any kind the router crashes within 1-2 minutes.

All the lights are on including ADSL / LAN / Power lights, but the modem is inaccessable and so are the connections to the internet, even ones that have no VPN software on them.
I have repeated this many times on both VPNSecure and other providers. I have to manually repower every times to bring it back.

Sadly I cannot get to any log as i have to reboot the unit. I have my old 7800n here that doesn't do this.
kenny70

Re: VPN connections crash router

Post by kenny70 »

the router has crashed on me a few times not with vpn but when i was trying to get my Netgear connected, same thing happen though lights stay on but everything stops and only a power recycle fixes it
swatboy79

Post by swatboy79 »

I have had it lock up when i was changing the wifi settings too, so there may be a common fault?

When i had a pc connected and then i enabled the software vpn (which could be like you connecting the netgear device) i get the lock up issue.

I am sure they will get to the bottom of the issues as i would like this to be as stable as the 7800n was.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

swatboy79 wrote:Several times now, and EVERY time, whenever I use a windows based software VPN connections of any kind the router crashes within 1-2 minutes.

All the lights are on including ADSL / LAN / Power lights, but the modem is inaccessable and so are the connections to the internet, even ones that have no VPN software on them.
I have repeated this many times on both VPNSecure and other providers. I have to manually repower every times to bring it back.

Sadly I cannot get to any log as i have to reboot the unit. I have my old 7800n here that doesn't do this.
I just set up a VPN connection (PPTP connection) and everything seems fine, I setup up the PPTP connection on a windows comp, using network and sharing centre.

The VPN server I used was the following

VPN server address - superfreevpn.com
Username - free
Password - 3136

If you want to give it ago and let me know if you have any issues?
swatboy79

Post by swatboy79 »

Using VPNSecure

I had 1st seen it using PPTP using a windows connection set up.
I then tried using an OPENVPN connection using their software.

Both had the same result of locking up within 2 minutes.

There are cases in which the modem locks up esp when changing/saving wifi settings, but there was a definite correlation between connecting to a vpn and locking up in my tests. Maybe its network/LAN specific.

Ill give the free one a try later and then try my server and see what happens.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

swatboy79 wrote:Using VPNSecure

There are cases in which the modem locks up esp when changing/saving wifi settings, but there was a definite correlation between connecting to a vpn and locking up in my tests. Maybe its network/LAN specific.

Keep me posted, as I also tried a PPTP connection at home on win 7 machine and was streaming a radio station from the US without issue (normally UK IPs are blocked from streaming from this radio station, so I know the traffic was routed correctly)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

billion_fan wrote:
swatboy79 wrote:Using VPNSecure

Keep me posted, as I also tried a PPTP connection at home on win 7 machine and was streaming a radio station from the US without issue (normally UK IPs are blocked from streaming from this radio station, so I know the traffic was routed correctly)

Hi swatboy79

Did you have a chance to test the VPN connection I suggested??
swatboy79

Post by swatboy79 »

I will test this soon, i am busy upgrading to latest firmware. Thanks

edit: i have just seen in another thread with vpn issues and a possible thing to try is turn off power features as per your notes. Still yet to test this but have not as i did not want possible remote lockups when i wasn't there. I WILL try this weekend.
swatboy79

Post by swatboy79 »

Ok finally got to test this.

With new firmware, powersaving features turned off.

If i enable vpnsecure or hidemyass on my one machine, ALL access to the router is denied, the wifi is still up, and all the lights are on etc but the router cannot be accessed and also there is no connection to the outside world because of this. Only a reboot will fix it.

All my machines run on a seperate switch so they still can see each other.

This happens 100% of the time within 10 seconds of enabling the vpn on a single machine.

If this is the case other peoples issues such as steam voice chat could easily be related. These lockup issues need to be looked at ASAP as stability is vital.
Any sort of alternate/special routing seems to crash this router.

On a side note: The other day i reset my router at 8AM to sync at a higher rate as i do every day, but the unit could not be accessed (all lights were on - but nobody home) just like the above. I had to manually reboot it again to get it to work
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Swatboy79,

Can you please submit a ticket on our esupport portal? http://billion.uk.com/esupport/index.ph ... ets/Submit

If it can be replicated 100% everytime then it should be relatively straight forward to fix.