7800DXL Keeps Crashing

midnightlightning

7800DXL Keeps Crashing

Post by midnightlightning »

I have been running my new DXL for 6 days and generally it's fine, I just have it using the 2.4Ghz band at the moment.

It replaces my old Netgear DG834GT and whilst the broadband download is a bit slower (around 6.00Mbps compared to 6.70Mbps) the wifi connection to my laptop is better at around 72Mbps compared to 54Mbps. I've not tried tweaking anything as yet so I may improve on these figures. I am also finding downloads from my Synology Diskstation are twice as fast and uploads four times as fast which is nice.

The problem I am getting is the router keeps stopping working, it's done it three times so far - I don't think I ever had to reboot the Netgear in many years of operation.

On two occasions it stopped working with green lights except for the 2.4Gbps light which was off, the third time all green lights were on. On two of these occasions it stopped working in the middle of the night, was working fine at bedtime but not working next morning. I have been fixing it by taking the power lead out to reboot it.

I'm a bit of a novice with routers, can anyone suggest what the issue might be and how I might go about fixing it?

Thanks.
swatboy79

Re: 7800DXL Keeps Crashing

Post by swatboy79 »

Have you upgraded to the firmware that was released yesterday? So far it has cured all my wireless and freezing problems.

See here -> viewtopic.php?f=18&t=822
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

swatboy79 wrote:Have you upgraded to the firmware that was released yesterday. So far it has cured all my wireless and freezing problems.

See here -> viewtopic.php?f=18&t=822
You beat me to it, I was just about to suggest a firmware upgrade to 2.24b.
swatboy79

Post by swatboy79 »

You can use the SNR tweak to get a better sync rate. Read the other posts as a lot of what you mention is there already.

The 7800 series modems are the best you can get so once you are set up etc you should be fine.

There is also a mention of turning off "OBSS Co-Existance" under WIFI advanced on each band which can allow connecting at higher rates on wifi...
midnightlightning

Ok, thanks, I expected to have to wait longer for a firmware upgrade so hadn't even checked if one was available - that's my next step :)
midnightlightning

I updated the firmware, and the router lost connection on reboot (which was to factory settings as recommended), and I had to hard reboot it to be able to connect again.

I then went to disable OBSS Co-existence (2.4Ghz) and again lost connection after making the change - I couldn't get on wirelessly or on Ethernet. Fixed by another run upstairs for a hard reboot.

Good news, disabling OBSS has seen my wireless connection go from 65-72 to 135-150Mbps, I've not tested actual transfer speeds yet.

So there still seem to be a few niggles to iron out but so far pleased with the DXL and good to see the support team are active. I've been very impressed with the Billion UK team so far, very helpful with my pre-sales enquiries whilst I was waiting for this to launch.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

midnightlightning wrote:I updated the firmware, and the router lost connection on reboot (which was to factory settings as recommended), and I had to hard reboot it to be able to connect again.

I then went to disable OBSS Co-existence (2.4Ghz) and again lost connection after making the change - I couldn't get on wirelessly or on Ethernet. Fixed by another run upstairs for a hard reboot.

Good news, disabling OBSS has seen my wireless connection go from 65-72 to 135-150Mbps, I've not tested actual transfer speeds yet.

So there still seem to be a few niggles to iron out but so far pleased with the DXL and good to see the support team are active. I've been very impressed with the Billion UK team so far, very helpful with my pre-sales enquiries whilst I was waiting for this to launch.

Thats a strange one, I have been running the 7800DXL for about a month now, and have never needed to reboot the device.

Did you check to see if the firmware has upgraded by checking the software/firmware version on the web gui?

I would suggest leaving the device as is for now, and monitor the connections for a while. (as the unit is setup, this test should be easy)

Also if possible maybe you can try and leave your diskstation disconnected for a day or so, to see if the issue still occurs when your diskstation is disconnected from the network.
midnightlightning

The firmware version number has updated so I assume it's ok.

It just occurred to me that I have had a VPN running to my workplace during the day, perhaps that could have something to do with it, other than that there is nothing unusual.

The whole family is dependent on the diskstation so disconnecting would be problematic. I wouldn't expect that to be an issue though, surely it's just another IP connection as far as the router is concerned (here we go, showing my ignorance)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

midnightlightning wrote:The firmware version number has updated so I assume it's ok.

It just occurred to me that I have had a VPN running to my workplace during the day, perhaps that could have something to do with it, other than that there is nothing unusual.

The whole family is dependent on the diskstation so disconnecting would be problematic. I wouldn't expect that to be an issue though, surely it's just another IP connection as far as the router is concerned (here we go, showing my ignorance)
I thought there might be a IP conflict or something similar hence the reason why I asked you to turn off the diskstation if possible, but if you can't you can't.

The VPN might have something to do with it, but I would expect as soon as you establish the VPN link/tunnel the router will lock up, but that also does not seem to be the case. (as the router locked up during the night, when I assume no one was using the unit)

If the issue occurs again, try to ping the router IP address using a machine that is directly connected to the router, also check what IP address has been assigned to the computer that you are using to test the ping with, once the issue has occured (don't reboot the router until you have run these tests)

Another thing to try is to disable all power saving options on the router (found under power management) as shown in the screen shot, this is how I have my router configured.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
midnightlightning

Ok, thanks, will try that.