Plusnet Fibre & the 7800DXL

sploits

Plusnet Fibre & the 7800DXL

Post by sploits »

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did have a search about and didn't really find the answer I needed

I have just been fibre enabled (I will be switched on at home on the 29th December, can't bloody wait). I currently have Plusnet broadband and I use my 7800DXL. I'm upgrading to the Plusnet fibre package and I have ordered the Plusnet fibre router (which I don't really want to use but thought I'd better be safe than sorry especially for £7).
Will I be able to use my 7800DXL on my new fibre line? Will I need to use the Plusnet router and then attach the 7800DXL to that? Will I be best just using the cheap Plusnet router? If I cant use the 7800DXL is there another Billion router out there I can use without the need for the Plusnet router?

I bought the 7800DXL a while ago and its been solid, reliable and hasn't let me down (a few hiccups to start with but that was all sorted by the fantastic members on here). I can't wait to have fibre but I don't want to lose the use of my 7800DXL.

Many thanks,

Sploits
billion_fan

Re: Plusnet Fibre & the 7800DXL

Post by billion_fan »

sploits wrote:Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did have a search about and didn't really find the answer I needed

I have just been fibre enabled (I will be switched on at home on the 29th December, can't bloody wait). I currently have Plusnet broadband and I use my 7800DXL. I'm upgrading to the Plusnet fibre package and I have ordered the Plusnet fibre router (which I don't really want to use but thought I'd better be safe than sorry especially for £7).
Will I be able to use my 7800DXL on my new fibre line? Will I need to use the Plusnet router and then attach the 7800DXL to that? Will I be best just using the cheap Plusnet router? If I cant use the 7800DXL is there another Billion router out there I can use without the need for the Plusnet router?

I bought the 7800DXL a while ago and its been solid, reliable and hasn't let me down (a few hiccups to start with but that was all sorted by the fantastic members on here). I can't wait to have fibre but I don't want to lose the use of my 7800DXL.

Many thanks,

Sploits
As the 7800DXL does not have a fibre modem built in, you will have to use the plusnet modem/router infront of the 7800DXL (two box solution)

The setup method will be the same for the BT Home Hub 5 users

Follow the steps below,

1. Login to the 7800DXL
2. Click on 'Configuration >> LAN'
3. Change the IP address to 192.168.2.254 (as the plusnet router might run off the same subnet) and click on 'Apply'
4. Release and renew the IP address of your computer or restart your computer to renew the IP address
5. Type in the new IP address of the 7800DXL eg http://192.168.2.254,
6. Click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service'
7. Click on the 'Add' button to add a new WAN interface
8. Change the 'WAN Port' to 'Ethernet'
9. Make sure the 'Type' is set to 'IP Over Ethernet' and the 'Obtain a IP address automatically' option is ticked and click on 'Next'
10. Under 'Available Routed WAN Interfaces' you will see your new IPOE WAN connection, click on it to select it and click on the 'Arrow' pointing left so it should be listed under 'Selected Default Gateway Interfaces'
11. Do the same for the IPOE connection that is listed under 'Available WAN Interfaces' so it should now be listed under 'Selected DNS Server Interfaces' and click on 'Next'
12. Now click on 'Status >> WAN' and check to see if your IPOE WAN connection has obtained a IP address from your plusnet router list/write this IP address down

Now login to your plusnet modem/router and insert the IP address your wrote down on step 11 into the DMZ section with your plusnet router
sploits

Post by sploits »

Yet again billion fan you never cease to amaze me!

Thank you for the quick response and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year :)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

sploits wrote:Yet again billion fan you never cease to amaze me!

Thank you for the quick response and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year :)
No problem sploits hope you have Merry Christmas and Happy New Year too :D
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

pugs66 wrote:Ok, got this working by enabling DHCP on the HH5 before attmepting the above steps in order to get the Billion assigned an IP. However, question, is it ok now to disable DHCP on the HH5? Also, what about the firewall on the HH5, disable?
Don't disable the DHCP, unless you set the a static WAN IP address to the 7800 (by editing the WAN profile, and unticking the "Obtain an IP address automatically" option, and manually entering 'WAN IP Address, WAN Subnet Mask, and WAN gateway IP Address and don't forget the DNS servers) you can try using the same IP address assigned to the 7800 by the DHCP server, so might be worth noting this down, so when you disable the DHCP server, you can then enter it manually.

Leave the firewall on
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

In principle could you reconfigure the HH as a modem only, then configure the Billion for PPPoE? That's the conventional two-box solution, and avoids double NAT which can cause problems if you want inbound connections.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

pugs66 wrote:Whats with PPoE, since here it appears to be recommended to have IP over E
If you run the HH5 as a pure modem, the link between modem (HH5) and router (7800DXL) will run PPPoE. The Billion will have the username and password configured and will receive the public IP address from the provider.