Block Xbox live on schedule on 7800DXL

np0707

Block Xbox live on schedule on 7800DXL

Post by np0707 »

I've got a 7800DXL and need to block access to Xbox live at night so that the rest of the family can get some sleep :D

In ip filtering outgoing I've set off the xbox live ports to only forward between 0600 to 2300. I assume this means that for the remaining hours the ports will be blocked (couple of screenshots below).

I've left ip address boxes empty as this should mean the rules apply to any ip on the network - right?

It doesn't work and I don't know why.

I don't know if this is relevant but I have fibre to the cabinet here, so the connection type is ppp over ethernet. I have an ethernet cable running from the cable router directly into the back of the router (into one of the lan ethernet ports). I believe this is the correct setup but I'm wondering if this config has an effect on the firewall. I used to be on straight DSL and I never had problems like this.

Hope someone can advise.
7800nUser

Re: Block Xbox live on schedule on 7800DXL

Post by 7800nUser »

I think all these rules need to be applied on the Incoming connections instead of the Outgoing ones. The Incoming ruleset allows which interface to be blocked, so for FTTC it would be br0 (I think!)

I'm sure billion_fan will be along to correct me on this, but try it.
Garani

Re: Block Xbox live on schedule on 7800DXL

Post by Garani »

You have to think the other way around: all is allowed unless explicitly forbidden. So you would have to reverse the rules from "forward" to "drop" and specify the 23 to 6 time schedule.

As you say, you are correct: by using just ports as targets will mean that you would block everyone going to those ports.

So you have 2 choices:
  • Block the activity of an internal host (the XBox for example
  • Block the reachability of the XBox servers.
My suggestion is to block the actual console, like I did with my son's devices. If you still want to block ports and don't have destination IPs (for example your kid is smart enough to change IP of the console and microsoft's cloud is pretty wide), then drop the rule "xbox53". If you block that port you basically block name resolution and all internet service would be unavailable for your network.