7800DX load balance with 4G

adriandonlan

7800DX load balance with 4G

Post by adriandonlan »

Hi
I have a 7800Dx with 2.32e firmware, I have a very slow broadband connection (1.2Mb) and have recently purchased a Huawei E5573 to see if I can improve the speed. The MiFi gets around 4 to 10Mb download (very variable) but is limited in usage to 20Gb a month. The amount of TV my children stream means that if it is the primary connection then we would use the bandwidth up pretty quickly. I'd like to be able to create a number of routes to allow certain devices to use the 4G as the default gateway but so far I haven't managed to get this to work (I have made certain devices have a static IP address and then attempted to add routes) In a more expensive router I could add in multiple static routes or even specify traffic by ports but whenever I try to add specific routes to the 7800 it does not really work.
Anyone have any ideas if this is possible? Is there a command interface that could be used to enter in the routes manually?

Thanks
Adrian
billion_fan

Re: 7800DX load balance with 4G

Post by billion_fan »

adriandonlan wrote:Hi
I have a 7800Dx with 2.32e firmware, I have a very slow broadband connection (1.2Mb) and have recently purchased a Huawei E5573 to see if I can improve the speed. The MiFi gets around 4 to 10Mb download (very variable) but is limited in usage to 20Gb a month. The amount of TV my children stream means that if it is the primary connection then we would use the bandwidth up pretty quickly. I'd like to be able to create a number of routes to allow certain devices to use the 4G as the default gateway but so far I haven't managed to get this to work (I have made certain devices have a static IP address and then attempted to add routes) In a more expensive router I could add in multiple static routes or even specify traffic by ports but whenever I try to add specific routes to the 7800 it does not really work.
Anyone have any ideas if this is possible? Is there a command interface that could be used to enter in the routes manually?

Thanks
Adrian
Have a look at the following thread

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3084
adriandonlan

Re: 7800DX load balance with 4G

Post by adriandonlan »

Hi
I read the thread originally, but ignored most of it as I am not using WiFi. However I did re-read and then re-examine my setup and found a mistake. I have the wrong physical Ethernet port specified. Once corrected it worked. For those interested I have setup policy routes from specific devices to access the 4G. I used static IP addresses and assigned these to the various devices. In my situation most of the traffic goes through the ADSL broadband but now the TV's and Sonos use the MiFi. I'm not using the MiFi wireless but my Cat5 cabling.
The only fly in the ointment is the 20Gb limit - I would ideally like an unlimited data option from the provider then I could push all of the traffic through.

Thanks for the help.
Adrian