7800VDOX and BeThere

Spudgun

Re: 7800VDOX and BeThere

Post by Spudgun »

bet you were even more gutted than me then (a BE customer since 2007) that they sold out to Sky last Friday.

Just thought of something else, on the new network the DHCP lease lasts for an hour, so if you swap routers you have to wait before the lease to expire before you can get any data throughput.

If your 582N bebox was connecting on 102, leave the 7800 there, but leave it plugged in to the line for an hour or two and hopefully you will start to see some throughput

Also, regardless of whether you are on static or dynamic IP you need to set "Obtain an IP address automatically"
jcimbbarker

Post by jcimbbarker »

Spudgun wrote:bet you were even more gutted than me then (a BE customer since 2007) that they sold out to Sky last Friday.
Exactly...! :roll:
Spudgun wrote:Just thought of something else, on the new network the DHCP lease lasts for an hour, so if you swap routers you have to wait before the lease to expire before you can get any data throughput.

If your 582N bebox was connecting on 102, leave the 7800 there, but leave it plugged in to the line for an hour or two and hopefully you will start to see some throughput

Also, regardless of whether you are on static or dynamic IP you need to set "Obtain an IP address automatically"
This is probably it. I followed billion_fan's instructions to use a dynamic IP with 0/102. I then got on with something else. After about 20 mins I now have working connection. Thanks to the both of you for helping me sort this out... :D
Spudgun

Post by Spudgun »

Out of interest, what is the sync speed like on the new router compared to the 582N that you got free from BE?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Spudgun wrote:Out of interest, what is the sync speed like on the new router compared to the 582N that you got free from BE?
For me i turned downed Be's offer for a Be Box, just used the 7800N straight away (with snr tweak), then went to the 7800DXL with SNR tweak.
jcimbbarker

Post by jcimbbarker »

Spudgun wrote:Out of interest, what is the sync speed like on the new router compared to the 582N that you got free from BE?
I am getting reported speeds of:

BeBox : Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.334 / 19.485

BillionBox : Attainable Rate : (Kbps) 24488 / 1304
Rate (Kbps) : 19377 / 1304

Let me know if you mean something else. I'm new to all this...!
swatboy79

Post by swatboy79 »

nice rate, 19000+ that is good for about 2.3MB/sec or so. Your almost at bleeding edge of what ADSL2+ can offer.

What is your reported SNR value on the line? if its 3db or more (if its currently higher than that - even better - you must be on top of the exchange) you could lower the 7800DXL SNR setting and sync even faster ;)

Roll on fibre!
jcimbbarker

Post by jcimbbarker »

swatboy79 wrote:nice rate, 19000+ that is good for about 2.3MB/sec or so. Your almost at bleeding edge of what ADSL2+ can offer.

What is your reported SNR value on the line? if its 3db or more (if its currently higher than that - even better - you must be on top of the exchange) you could lower the 7800DXL SNR setting and sync even faster ;)

Roll on fibre!
In WAN/SNR I get : -1 (Auto -1) Is that any good...?
swatboy79

Post by swatboy79 »

No -1 means the SNR tweaking is turned off. look on your stats page to see the current SNR value (its under the status tab / statistics / XDSL / SNR Margin (dB))

Read off the Down value. Once you have established what your baseline is, you can start to set that -1 value from (start at 6 going down to 1), read the other post about how the SNR value works.