[Query] Bandwidth allocation per ip/mac address

Garthark

[Query] Bandwidth allocation per ip/mac address

Post by Garthark »

Hi with the 7800DXL is it possible to allocate a specific bandwidth to a specific MAC, hostname or TCP/IP address.

I've looked at the router manual (thanks to whoever uploaded that, it answered many of my questions) and can't seem to figure out if it's possible.

At the moment this sole feature is what's holding me back from buying one.

Thanks,
Garthark.
billion_fan

Re: [Query] Bandwidth allocation per ip/mac address

Post by billion_fan »

Garthark wrote:Hi with the 7800DXL is it possible to allocate a specific bandwidth to a specific MAC, hostname or TCP/IP address.

I've looked at the router manual (thanks to whoever uploaded that, it answered many of my questions) and can't seem to figure out if it's possible.

At the moment this sole feature is what's holding me back from buying one.

Thanks,
Garthark.
Please check the manual again and look for the QOS section this should be what you are looking for. eg 192.168.1.100 only has 10% of your download speed/upload speed, depending on your configuration setup
Garthark

Post by Garthark »

Epic, Thanks ordering one as soon as.

Garthark.
dzuser

Post by dzuser »

Hi,

I'm currently using a 7800N (Sky Fibre) and have had to disable QoS due to the fact that when enabled the Fibre Sync speed is halved!

Therefore I was wondering if either of the 7800DXL or 7800VDOX offered better QoS functionality over the 7800N?

Thanks.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

dzuser wrote:Hi,

I'm currently using a 7800N (Sky Fibre) and have had to disable QoS due to the fact that when enabled the Fibre Sync speed is halved!

Therefore I was wondering if either of the 7800DXL or 7800VDOX offered better QoS functionality over the 7800N?

Thanks.
From my test the 7800dxl or 7800VDOX does not have fibre speed halved when QOS is enabled.

My test

Test PC 1 QOS rule enabled set to 10%, speed test showed limited speeds
Test PC 2 was able to acheive speeds of 60-70mbps with QOS rule still inplace/enabled (max speed of our FTTC line here)
Garthark

Post by Garthark »

Here's another query, from looking at the manual and the settings on the 7800DXL i can't see a way to do this (although i get the feeling it should be able to given the feature-set)

Can you set the bandwith allowance to specific Virtual access points/virtual LAN's
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Garthark wrote:Here's another query, from looking at the manual and the settings on the 7800DXL i can't see a way to do this (although i get the feeling it should be able to given the feature-set)

Can you set the bandwith allowance to specific Virtual access points/virtual LAN's
You should be able to do it via IP address, so if your virtual access point or guest network is set to 192.168.2.100, you can set this IP within the QOS section of the router.
Garthark

Post by Garthark »

Awesome, tried and tested.