7800VDOX EWAN LED

NigelS

7800VDOX EWAN LED

Post by NigelS »

Just got a new 7800VDOX and have it set up with the EWAN gigabit port connected to a BT Infinity fibre modem.

The LED light on the front is ORANGE, whereas the others connected to gigabit devices are GREEN.
Orange usually means only a Fast Ethernet device is connected?

Surely the EWAN LED should be lit up GREEN as well?
swatboy79

Re: 7800VDOX EWAN LED

Post by swatboy79 »

So this means the port is running at 100mbit.

Usually this is really up to what the 7800 is plugged into as it auto negotiates, look in the log as it does list port speed diagnostics.

The Open Reach fibre modem must be running at 100mbits only??? If you are running at the speeds that BT offers right now, and
correct me if i am wrong as i do not have fibre, its something like 38/76mbits. So right now you are running under 100mbit.

Does the fibre modem have any setup page, confirm that is in fact has gigabit first.

Also you said BT infinity modem (black), do you mean the modem or the actual Openreach VDSL modem (white)?
NigelS

Post by NigelS »

Sorry yes, I did mean the white BT Openreach VDSL modem (an ECL model).
I have an "up to 76 Mbps" fibre service installed.
I am not sure how to access the web I/f of the BT modem to see if it is possible to set the LAN output as gigabit
untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swatboy79

Post by swatboy79 »

Your upload equals my download :) one day i will have fibre 8-)

I would put it down to your Open reach modem right now. As for it running in 100mbit and slowing your performance, it isn't, i see you are getting your rated max speed.
Who knows how the firmware works, maybe when bt roll out faster speeds above 100mbit, the modem will kick it up a gear to 1000mbits and they may
do that to save power thats all i can think of.
NigelS

Post by NigelS »

Yeah, I'd come to the same conclusion as you about the modem.

Why would BT pay for a gigabit LAN port when it isn't really needed at present. I suspect that when fibre speeds double again (!) they will just supply a replacement VDSL3 modem with a gigabit LAN port.

The speed-test results I posted do indeed look impressive, however in the real world, I am finding that most websites & servers I come across are not capable of supplying data at anything like the rate I could download it at. In practice I have not seen a file download any faster than about 5 MB/s and most are way slower than that.

Where the extra bandwidth does kick in is when I'm watching a Netflix movie in HD and others in the family are watching Lovefilm streaming a different film also in HD and with no buffering on either (after the initial few seconds at the start).