Is my 8800NL R2 past it's sell by date?

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
jamesjay

Is my 8800NL R2 past it's sell by date?

Post by jamesjay »

Hi Folks,

I have had and been using the above unit for about 5 years but noticed my speed using both hardwired Ethernet and Wi-Fi dropping, I am on TalkTalk fibre and should be getting at least 36 Mbps but was getting 25 Mbps. I have tested the volts at the BT master socket and my extended internal cable to the living room both showed 50.4Volts. I tried a few different splitter/filters and another RJ11 cable and have not relocated the router and have not changed anything in my setup and I even tried an earlier router backup I had, I also tried updating to the latest firmware 8800nlr2_2.52.d18 which made no difference

I decided to try the TalkTalk HG633 for comparison and that improved the speed close to 50 Mbps and sometime higher, but reconnecting the 8800 results in the speed dropping, so it looks like it is the end of the road for the 8800 although it could be the power supply failing?

Any advise on what to buy next, the HG633 does have dual WiFi so maybe I should stick with that until full fibre comes to the telephone poles!

Kind regards
James.
billion_fan

Re: Is my 8800NL R2 past it's sell by date?

Post by billion_fan »

jamesjay wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:11 pm Hi Folks,

I have had and been using the above unit for about 5 years but noticed my speed using both hardwired Ethernet and Wi-Fi dropping, I am on TalkTalk fibre and should be getting at least 36 Mbps but was getting 25 Mbps. I have tested the volts at the BT master socket and my extended internal cable to the living room both showed 50.4Volts. I tried a few different splitter/filters and another RJ11 cable and have not relocated the router and have not changed anything in my setup and I even tried an earlier router backup I had, I also tried updating to the latest firmware 8800nlr2_2.52.d18 which made no difference

I decided to try the TalkTalk HG633 for comparison and that improved the speed close to 50 Mbps and sometime higher, but reconnecting the 8800 results in the speed dropping, so it looks like it is the end of the road for the 8800 although it could be the power supply failing?

Any advise on what to buy next, the HG633 does have dual WiFi so maybe I should stick with that until full fibre comes to the telephone poles!

Kind regards
James.
If the HG633 is working on your line with increased speeds I would stick to that.
jamesjay

Post by jamesjay »

Thank you for your reply Billion_fan much obliged.
alanfleming

Post by alanfleming »

I had this issue with my first 8800R2. Some sort of component failure? i replaced it with another 8800R2 and got the full line speed back again so maybe they just fail after a while. It happens.