8800NL R2 w openreach modem

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
andruec

8800NL R2 w openreach modem

Post by andruec »

Can someone supply me with details on how to set up an 8800NL R2 but using an openreach modem, please?

I do already have a working setup but:

* It seems to struggle to get a working connection. It can take five minutes for it to provide any kind of WAN access sometimes. During this time the UI is very slow as if the router is busy doing something.
* I switched ISPs yesterday and my new ISP supports IPv6 dual-stack. I know this because I have an old Bilion 6300 that connects immediately and provides an IPv6 connection.

The 8800 has always struggled to get a connection even with my old ISP. I'm just wondering if perhaps it's related to it's inability to get IPv6 information in some way.

I've noticed that with my new ISP the summary screen shows that it has an IPv6 address but it's a /64 which is incorrect. I actually have my doubts as to its validity at all but my ISP gives out a /48.

Thanks.
billion_fan

Re: 8800NL R2 w openreach modem

Post by billion_fan »

andruec wrote:Can someone supply me with details on how to set up an 8800NL R2 but using an openreach modem, please?

I do already have a working setup but:

* It seems to struggle to get a working connection. It can take five minutes for it to provide any kind of WAN access sometimes. During this time the UI is very slow as if the router is busy doing something.
* I switched ISPs yesterday and my new ISP supports IPv6 dual-stack. I know this because I have an old Bilion 6300 that connects immediately and provides an IPv6 connection.

The 8800 has always struggled to get a connection even with my old ISP. I'm just wondering if perhaps it's related to it's inability to get IPv6 information in some way.

I've noticed that with my new ISP the summary screen shows that it has an IPv6 address but it's a /64 which is incorrect. I actually have my doubts as to its validity at all but my ISP gives out a /48.

Thanks.
Plug a Ethernet connection from the your open reach modem to the EWAN port on the 8800NL R2 (the blue Ethernet port), then run through the quick start option, and setup the device for a 'Ethernet >>> PPPoE' connection, (if you ISP are using PPPoE)

We are investigating /64 IPv6 at the moment
andruec

Post by andruec »

Thanks for that. I'll double check which port I've plugged the cable into. I didn't think it had a blue EWAN port but perhaps I'm mistaken. Of course it works anyway (albeit a bit rough) but just not IPv6. Maybe it just happens to work with P4 in some fashion.

I've had a response from my ISP and they say that it's just not asking for IPv6 addressing at login.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

andruec wrote:Thanks for that. I'll double check which port I've plugged the cable into. I didn't think it had a blue EWAN port but perhaps I'm mistaken. Of course it works anyway (albeit a bit rough) but just not IPv6. Maybe it just happens to work with P4 in some fashion.

I've had a response from my ISP and they say that it's just not asking for IPv6 addressing at login.
Make sure IPv6 is enabled for the Ethernet >>> PPPoE WAN connection
andruec

Post by andruec »

> Make sure IPv6 is enabled for the Ethernet >>> PPPoE WAN connection

Just checking: Is that under WAN Services where I specify username, password, etc?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

andruec wrote:> Make sure IPv6 is enabled for the Ethernet >>> PPPoE WAN connection

Just checking: Is that under WAN Services where I specify username, password, etc?
Yes, strange you have connection if you using port 4 on the 8800NL R2, as the this is not the EWAN port, is your model the grey one or the white one, also which firmware are you running??
andruec

Post by andruec »

My model is the grey one. I can't remember the firmware version offhand but I know that it's a bit old - there's a new base version available. My modem was bought in December last year.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

andruec wrote:My model is the grey one. I can't remember the firmware version offhand but I know that it's a bit old - there's a new base version available. My modem was bought in December last year.
Grey one is the 5 port model (8800NL R2) and EWAN port is port 5, so you need to plug up to that port, then make sure the Ethernet >> PPPoE have IPv6 enabled, then under 'Configuration >> LAN >> IPv6 Autoconfig' make sure 'DHCPv6 Server' is enabled and 'Issue Router Advertisements' is enabled
andruec

Post by andruec »

Ah ha! Finally!

The cable was plugged in correctly but what seems to have done it is to enable 'Issue Router Advertisements' in the LAN>>IPv6 Autoconfig section.

Wow - that's really not very clear or obvious :-/

Thanks for all your help.