8800AXL R2 Reset to Default

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
shamusdb

8800AXL R2 Reset to Default

Post by shamusdb »

Hello All

I need to reset my router to factory defaults and Its just not happening.

With the power on I'm pressing the reset button with a paper clip for 5 seconds (tried 10, 20,20 but none working)
I've had alook on the net and i tried the 30-30-30 thinsg and that didn't work either. also tried presing reset while powering up but nothing seems to work

Am i supposed to see any led's change on the unit when its accepted the reset?

Any clues please? Can i force new firmware onto it via the USB at all?

Thanks
Shamus
billion_fan

Re: 8800AXL R2 Reset to Default

Post by billion_fan »

shamusdb wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:52 pm Hello All

I need to reset my router to factory defaults and Its just not happening.

With the power on I'm pressing the reset button with a paper clip for 5 seconds (tried 10, 20,20 but none working)
I've had alook on the net and i tried the 30-30-30 thinsg and that didn't work either. also tried presing reset while powering up but nothing seems to work

Am i supposed to see any led's change on the unit when its accepted the reset?

Any clues please? Can i force new firmware onto it via the USB at all?

Thanks
Shamus
Normally hold the reset button in for upto 10 seconds, the power light should change colour to red for short while, then green.

You should be able feel the reset pin hole button pushed in when using a paper clip (has to be a paperclip/pin as the reset button is within the pin hole)

The unit has be fully powered up to perform the reset (power on green, WLAN on green)

Or you can reset the device within the web gui (http://192.168.1.254) once loged in, bottom right hand corner "Restart >> select 'Factory Default Settings >> click on 'Restart"

Firmware can't be flashed from USB, but if the power light stays on 'Red' after around 5 min this means the device is stuck in recovery mode, and can be recovered
shamusdb

Post by shamusdb »

Thanks for the reply billion_fan

Yes all makes sense and I can feel the button press in but the power light just stays solid green. It only flickers red when you first power up (fraction of a second). When i first got the unit i reset it a few times while i was learning how the settings worked.

I can't get into the Web interface which is why I'm trying a hard reset with the button. (clicked on LAN Firewall enable Doh!)

Is there any way to use command line instructions to force it to reset as i've heard with other router makes?

Surely it can't be bricked!?!?

Shamus
shamusdb

Post by shamusdb »

Well its not actually bricked it still works but i can't change anything and also after trying a few ways to reset it i've lost my wifi SSID's

Shamus
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

shamusdb wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:31 pm Well its not actually bricked it still works but i can't change anything and also after trying a few ways to reset it i've lost my wifi SSID's

Shamus
Try pressing the WPS/Wifi button (above the reset pin hole) for 5 seconds the wifi should turn back on

You can try to telnet/ssh into the device, (not sure if it will work as LAN side firewall is enabled) if you can get in the command needed will be 'restoredefault'

The device is not bricked just need to reset it properly,

I would advise the following (just want to double confirm the procedure)

1. Let the device power up leave (5 minutes just to be sure)
2. Use a paperclip/pin to press the reset pin hole for around 10 seconds (you should here the button click when pressed in with the paperclip then hold) (the power light normally turns red after around 7 seconds) once it does let go of the reset pin hole
3. Once rebooted login again
shamusdb

Post by shamusdb »

I'll give it another go must be a dozen times now. I'll try a different paperclip :lol:
shamusdb

Post by shamusdb »

Tried a few times but no luck. Got my SSID's back though thanks.

Is there anything to see inside the unit. Could the button be broken dry joint maybe?

Clutching at straws now i know

Shamus
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

shamusdb wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:05 pm Tried a few times but no luck. Got my SSID's back though thanks.

Is there anything to see inside the unit. Could the button be broken dry joint maybe?

Shamus
Not sure, I can only confirm once inspected (that won't be possible at the moment due to the current situation as I am working from home)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

billion_fan wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:19 pm
shamusdb wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:05 pm Tried a few times but no luck. Got my SSID's back though thanks.

Shamus
Not sure, I can only confirm once inspected (that won't be possible at the moment due to the current situation as I am working from home)
Did you try to telnet/ssh in ??

If your OS doesn't support it you can try using putty (putty can be downloaded from the internet)
shamusdb

Post by shamusdb »

No worries mate. Thanks for the help

Stay safe

Shamusdb