Billion 8800NL

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
2bagstew

Re: Billion 8800NL

Post by 2bagstew »

Hi Tomken.

I will doing a review of the 8800NL router however the it's been put back a further week to the 26th May.
I'm really only interested in what my line can handle, when the fibre become active i will order the fibre large from talktalk test it for a few months.
georrbot

Post by georrbot »

Hi there

Just joined up. I have just deployed an 8800NL on my ADSL2+ at home (no fibre yet grrr) and it seems pretty good - syncing at the same speed as my Netgear N150 (8.5Mbps) but not as fast as my Linksys WAG320n (10Mbps). I got it for the USB port mostly; I've connected a hard drive and that seems to work great - setup was easy and streaming to my laptop is quick. My LG ethernet TV can see it as a DLNA server and streams well. File name order is weird though - it seems to be alphabetical but by folder (though it doesn't display the folders - just the files) so abc (from folder 1), abc (from folder 2) etc. But I don't think that's anything to do with the router...Transfer rate of 4MB/sec moving a 2.4GB .avi file from the drive to my laptop over the wifi...not amazing but there are lots of variables here. Takes quite a while for the GUI to reload after hitting 'apply' on settings changes.

Do you know if it's possible to access the storage from outside of my LAN at all i.e. externally?
What's the crack with the firmware?

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the router and I'll do my best to though answer them.
VDSL2User

Post by VDSL2User »

Hi, thanks for the details on this router to date.
I have a few questions listed in a seperate thread in this same forum section
"Billion 8800NL pre-sales questions" are you able to respond to that thread with any
of my missing answers ?
I know you don't have fibre so may not have some of the detail I am after but thanks
in advance for anything you may be able to add.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

georrbot wrote:Hi there

Just joined up. I have just deployed an 8800NL on my ADSL2+ at home (no fibre yet grrr) and it seems pretty good - syncing at the same speed as my Netgear N150 (8.5Mbps) but not as fast as my Linksys WAG320n (10Mbps). I got it for the USB port mostly; I've connected a hard drive and that seems to work great - setup was easy and streaming to my laptop is quick. My LG ethernet TV can see it as a DLNA server and streams well. File name order is weird though - it seems to be alphabetical but by folder (though it doesn't display the folders - just the files) so abc (from folder 1), abc (from folder 2) etc. But I don't think that's anything to do with the router...Transfer rate of 4MB/sec moving a 2.4GB .avi file from the drive to my laptop over the wifi...not amazing but there are lots of variables here. Takes quite a while for the GUI to reload after hitting 'apply' on settings changes.

Do you know if it's possible to access the storage from outside of my LAN at all i.e. externally?
What's the crack with the firmware?

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the router and I'll do my best to though answer them.

You should be able to access your HD using a FTP connection from a remote location. (you will need to enable FTP under 'Remote Access' within the web gui)
georrbot

Post by georrbot »

billion_fan wrote:
You should be able to access your HD using a FTP connection from a remote location. (you will need to enable FTP under 'Remote Access' within the web gui)
Nice one - that worked. Odd though, as it's under the router remote management section, as opposed to the anything USB-related?
increasebbspeed

Post by increasebbspeed »

Hi,

I've have been trialling the Billion 8800NL for a few weeks now and I have been very impressed. Here is a link to my published review:

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/billion-8800NL

I hope you find it useful.

Mark