8800NL Firewall question

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
Apocwhen

8800NL Firewall question

Post by Apocwhen »

Hi,

Just a question regarding the 8800NL and how it states that it's "for use with a dedicated firewall" as mentioned on the product page.
http://www.billion.uk.com/edu/VDSL2/index.html

Does this mean the box has no built in firewall support and it needs a separate device to act as a firewall?

In the event my 7800N is bust, I will be looking for a replacement device asap. With VDSL2 available on my line in the coming months, the 8800NL looks like a good device to cater for my current ADSL setup, and then to switch to VDSL when it's available.

Can I use this device just like I have been with my 7800N? Just connect my ADSL line to the box and then connect my devices to it via wired/wireless functionality.
Will the box not function without a dedicated firewall or will I be exposing my devices to security threats without one?

Is the 8800NL a good replacement for my 7800N or is there a new Billion product soon to be released like the 7800N with VDSL support?
Thanks.
billion_fan

Re: 8800NL Firewall question

Post by billion_fan »

Apocwhen wrote:Hi,

Just a question regarding the 8800NL and how it states that it's "for use with a dedicated firewall" as mentioned on the product page.
http://www.billion.uk.com/edu/VDSL2/index.html

Does this mean the box has no built in firewall support and it needs a separate device to act as a firewall?

In the event my 7800N is bust, I will be looking for a replacement device asap. With VDSL2 available on my line in the coming months, the 8800NL looks like a good device to cater for my current ADSL setup, and then to switch to VDSL when it's available.

Can I use this device just like I have been with my 7800N? Just connect my ADSL line to the box and then connect my devices to it via wired/wireless functionality.
Will the box not function without a dedicated firewall or will I be exposing my devices to security threats without one?

Is the 8800NL a good replacement for my 7800N or is there a new Billion product soon to be released like the 7800N with VDSL support?
Thanks.
The firewall is on as default on the 8800NL, when we mention for use with a dedicated firewall, we are referring to a setup method called half bridge that will pass the WAN IP address over the to a firewall.

Yes the device should work just like the 7800N, plug your ADSL/VDSL line to the router, and run through the quick start option.

No info on a newer model yet that's like the 7800N with VDSL support