Trouble setting up Failover on 8800NL R2

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
adamlang

Trouble setting up Failover on 8800NL R2

Post by adamlang »

Hi there,

I'm struggling to set up the failover on my 8800NL R2. My primary connection is with a company called Fibre WiFi who provide a wireless connection (about 10mbps up and down) for rural areas. My secondary connection is a BT dsl line (rated at 2mbps but probably slower).

The primary connection is through a proprietary wireless router, connected to my ewan port. The problem is I think that when the primary network goes down, the proprietary router is still working and will give a local ping.

I see the ping settings in the failover menu, with options for gateway and host. Is there a way of setting these to an external source, so that when my primary connection goes down the billion router detects it and automatically switches over to the BT connection. I currently have to do this manually.

Many thanks.
billion_fan

Re: Trouble setting up Failover on 8800NL R2

Post by billion_fan »

adamlang wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:36 am Hi there,

I'm struggling to set up the failover on my 8800NL R2. My primary connection is with a company called Fibre WiFi who provide a wireless connection (about 10mbps up and down) for rural areas. My secondary connection is a BT dsl line (rated at 2mbps but probably slower).

The primary connection is through a proprietary wireless router, connected to my ewan port. The problem is I think that when the primary network goes down, the proprietary router is still working and will give a local ping.

I see the ping settings in the failover menu, with options for gateway and host. Is there a way of setting these to an external source, so that when my primary connection goes down the billion router detects it and automatically switches over to the BT connection. I currently have to do this manually.

Many thanks.
Set the ping option to host and enter a external IP address that you can normally ping eg google DNS servers

Screen shot example attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.