Adjusting SNR margin

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
sup3rbird

Adjusting SNR margin

Post by sup3rbird »

I have recently been having speed issues ( I used to get 45mbps download and it dropped to 18mbps ) on my fibre plus broadband with EE. Two BT "engineers" arrived out to fix a phone line fault !! Apparently there was no dial tone (I don't have a phone) so they spent a couple of hours climbing poles and poking in cabinets and finally said they had moved me to a different line as they coudn't identify the fault. Now I'm getting a steady 35.79 according to the BT Wholesale download speed checker.

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin (dB) 14.6 11.0
Attenuation (dB) 21.2 0.0
Output Power (dBm) 11.8 7.1
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 57646 12713
Rate (Kbps) 39999 7200

I bought an 8800NL R2 to replace the crappy thing supplied by EE and attempted to adjust the SNR Margin. No matter what setting I tried, it made no difference to the sync speed. How are you supposed to know if the adjustment is actually doing anything?
Any help would be very welcome
Cheers
billion_fan

Re: Adjusting SNR margin

Post by billion_fan »

sup3rbird wrote:I have recently been having speed issues ( I used to get 45mbps download and it dropped to 18mbps ) on my fibre plus broadband with EE. Two BT "engineers" arrived out to fix a phone line fault !! Apparently there was no dial tone (I don't have a phone) so they spent a couple of hours climbing poles and poking in cabinets and finally said they had moved me to a different line as they coudn't identify the fault. Now I'm getting a steady 35.79 according to the BT Wholesale download speed checker.

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin (dB) 14.6 11.0
Attenuation (dB) 21.2 0.0
Output Power (dBm) 11.8 7.1
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 57646 12713
Rate (Kbps) 39999 7200

I bought an 8800NL R2 to replace the crappy thing supplied by EE and attempted to adjust the SNR Margin. No matter what setting I tried, it made no difference to the sync speed. How are you supposed to know if the adjustment is actually doing anything?
Any help would be very welcome
Cheers

You can't adjust the SNR on a VDSL connection, what ever setting you try will be overridden by open reach.

The only option you have now is to leave the device synced to your line, and hope the SNR drops down to the normal 6db with stability over time
sup3rbird

Post by sup3rbird »

Oh marvellous! I wonder if I can send this thing back :(

Thanks for the reply billion_fan
gerdesj

Post by gerdesj »

Wait a while - those SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) look a bit high, which is odd because a higher SNR is usually a good thing. I've just had a look at four different FTTC connections that are to hand (with Draytek modems on them) and they all show between five and ten SNR (dB). All of them sync at 80/20 Mbs-1 to within a rounding error.

I've just had a quick look at https://broadband.ee.co.uk/ and they advertise up to 38Mb connections which appears to be what you are getting. That is really a 40/10 package, the other one is 80/20. I've just had another look and they do offer a Fibre Plus product - upto 76Mbs-1.

What do you think you should be getting from EE - which product are you paying for? If it is the Fibre Plus one then this is worth pursuing further, if not it isn't.

Cheers
Jon