5Ghz Connection drops

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
mawheele
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 9:23 am

5Ghz Connection drops

Post by mawheele » Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 am

I'm on Firmware D28 and I've been having recent issues with Apple products (iPhones, iMacs and MacBook Pros) losing their 5Ghz connection to the router. a 2.4Ghz connection is then established. When I look to reconnect to the 5Ghz channel, it'll ask for a password and even though the correct one is typed in, it rejects it by saying the password provided is incorrect and will then return to a 2.4Ghz connection. The only way to solve it is to reboot the router. Does anyone have any ideas about this issues or how to fix this bug? Thanks!

billion_fan
Posts: 5272
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: 5Ghz Connection drops

Post by billion_fan » Tue May 01, 2018 9:34 am

mawheele wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 am
I'm on Firmware D28 and I've been having recent issues with Apple products (iPhones, iMacs and MacBook Pros) losing their 5Ghz connection to the router. a 2.4Ghz connection is then established. When I look to reconnect to the 5Ghz channel, it'll ask for a password and even though the correct one is typed in, it rejects it by saying the password provided is incorrect and will then return to a 2.4Ghz connection. The only way to solve it is to reboot the router. Does anyone have any ideas about this issues or how to fix this bug? Thanks!
I'll check with our engineers and get back you. Do you remember which firmware was stable for you, I would suggest for the time being to revert to the older firmware

mawheele
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 9:23 am

Re: 5Ghz Connection drops

Post by mawheele » Tue May 01, 2018 12:38 pm

I want to say D23 that had not had a factory reboot.

mawheele
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 9:23 am

Re: 5Ghz Connection drops

Post by mawheele » Sat May 05, 2018 7:56 am

Any news? Thanks.

mawheele
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 9:23 am

Re: 5Ghz Connection drops

Post by mawheele » Sat May 05, 2018 10:06 pm

I'm back on D23 to see how that goes. Does look to be rock steady so far. I'll keep monitoring it.

mawheele
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 9:23 am

Re: 5Ghz Connection drops

Post by mawheele » Fri May 18, 2018 11:09 am

Still having problems on D23, although the timeframe for it to get bad has lengthened to about a week before I need to reset the router. Any news on Billion updating to the latest Broadcom 5GHz drivers. I notice quite an old version is being used even in D27.

billion_fan
Posts: 5272
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: 5Ghz Connection drops

Post by billion_fan » Fri May 18, 2018 11:17 am

mawheele wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:09 am
Still having problems on D23, although the timeframe for it to get bad has lengthened to about a week before I need to reset the router. Any news on Billion updating to the latest Broadcom 5GHz drivers. I notice quite an old version is being used even in D27.
The 8900AX-2400 does not use 5ghz Broadcom chipset it uses the Quantenna chipset

No update yet from our engineers (I've been chasing)

Also have you tried to increase the max clients for the 5ghz band?

mawheele
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 9:23 am

Re: 5Ghz Connection drops

Post by mawheele » Fri May 18, 2018 12:38 pm

I only have 2-3 devices on the 5GHz and its currently set to max 16. Should I increase it?

billion_fan
Posts: 5272
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: 5Ghz Connection drops

Post by billion_fan » Fri May 18, 2018 1:20 pm

mawheele wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:38 pm
I only have 2-3 devices on the 5GHz and its currently set to max 16. Should I increase it?
If you only have 2-3 devices I don't think it will help

Radiocrazy
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: 5Ghz Connection drops

Post by Radiocrazy » Sat May 19, 2018 10:58 pm

mawheele wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 5:08 am
I'm on Firmware D28 and I've been having recent issues with Apple products (iPhones, iMacs and MacBook Pros) losing their 5Ghz connection to the router. a 2.4Ghz connection is then established. When I look to reconnect to the 5Ghz channel, it'll ask for a password and even though the correct one is typed in, it rejects it by saying the password provided is incorrect and will then return to a 2.4Ghz connection. The only way to solve it is to reboot the router. Does anyone have any ideas about this issues or how to fix this bug? Thanks!
What happens if you remove the 2.4ghz network setting out of one of you're Apple devices (as a test) to keep it on 5ghz, have you tried that, I have 2 Apple phone’s and 2 Apple tablets all different models, I have no problems at all.
I don’t quite see the point of having 2.4 & 5ghz in the same device on the same router that is, all devices I have if they cover 5ghz I keep on 5ghz, to avid problems you should have different SSID names for the different bands but you can keep the passwords the same if you wish.

Post Reply