BiPAC 8900AX2400 5g wifi security disabled

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
BigT37

BiPAC 8900AX2400 5g wifi security disabled

Post by BigT37 »

Hi could anybody help me with my BiPAC 8900AX2400, I just updated to latest firmware 2.52.d41 and I'm having trouble getting the 5G Wifi to work securely.
I'm using the router with talk talk fibre and have gone through the quick start setup with talk talk router plugged into ethernet port 1 to pull the settings on main port DSL PTM, IPoE. It worked up to a point and managed to setup everything fine. but when i go to set the guest network security password for 5g it jumps from WPS2 to open and can not change the settings from open network so I'm having to disable it.
I had this working before firmware update with some help beforehand but now when I go to set the security for 5g wifi it seems to get stuck on WPS set to enable and Network Authentication to Open? when i try to change this to WPA2-PSK and click apply nothing will change? I have a warning message above reading "If Hide access point enabled or mac filter list is empty with "allow" chosen, WPS2 will be disabled." in basic settings for 5g Hide SSD is not enabled and under MAC filter all 5g access points are set to disabled under MAC restrict mode.

Sorry for the long winded explanation I'm new to this router so any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance.
billion_fan

Re: BiPAC 8900AX2400 5g wifi security disabled

Post by billion_fan »

BigT37 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:44 pm Hi could anybody help me with my BiPAC 8900AX2400, I just updated to latest firmware 2.52.d41 and I'm having trouble getting the 5G Wifi to work securely.
I'm using the router with talk talk fibre and have gone through the quick start setup with talk talk router plugged into ethernet port 1 to pull the settings on main port DSL PTM, IPoE. It worked up to a point and managed to setup everything fine. but when i go to set the guest network security password for 5g it jumps from WPS2 to open and can not change the settings from open network so I'm having to disable it.
I had this working before firmware update with some help beforehand but now when I go to set the security for 5g wifi it seems to get stuck on WPS set to enable and Network Authentication to Open? when i try to change this to WPA2-PSK and click apply nothing will change? I have a warning message above reading "If Hide access point enabled or mac filter list is empty with "allow" chosen, WPS2 will be disabled." in basic settings for 5g Hide SSD is not enabled and under MAC filter all 5g access points are set to disabled under MAC restrict mode.

Sorry for the long winded explanation I'm new to this router so any advice would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks in advance.
Its advised to reset the device back to factory default settings after the firmware upgrade, as from firmware 2.52.d36 there was a newer 5ghz driver within the firmware, which might be what is causing this issue.

So try the following

1. Reset the device back to factory default settings
2. Set the device up again PTM >>> IPOE connection (not sure why the talktalk router is still in use, as it should not be needed anymore)
3. Try setting up the guest network again (by default security is disabled), so first enable the guest network, once enabled then try to setup security WPA2-PSK, WPA/WAPI passphrase entered, 'WPA Group Rekey Interval' = 3600 and WPA/WAPI Encryption = AES
BigT37

Post by BigT37 »

Hi Thanks for the reply. I reinstalled the firmware did factory reset (this time without Talk Talk router plugged in) and everything seemed to be working fine. changed all passwords and issolated guest networks in groups and renamed. Then went to change the 5g Guest network password and under security> everything flipped back to WPS> Enable. Network Auth>Open. When I try to change this back and click apply it gets stuck and cant change it.
So I'm having to disable Wireless 5g.
Could you advise me further please?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

BigT37 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:15 pm Hi Thanks for the reply. I reinstalled the firmware did factory reset (this time without Talk Talk router plugged in) and everything seemed to be working fine. changed all passwords and issolated guest networks in groups and renamed. Then went to change the 5g Guest network password and under security> everything flipped back to WPS> Enable. Network Auth>Open. When I try to change this back and click apply it gets stuck and cant change it.
So I'm having to disable Wireless 5g.
Could you advise me further please?
I have just tested the option and it works fine here, see attached video (I forgot to enable 'Group Isolation' whoops) of how I setup the guest 5ghz guest wifi network.

Try another reset back to factory defaults , and try using a different web browser to configure the device eg google chrome or IE, also try setting up the 5ghz guest wifi security first before changing the SSID
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigT37

Post by BigT37 »

Hi thanks for response. I tried a factory reset and did this through internet explorer and I have the same problem with 5g guest network as soon as I try to change the password it jumps to wps>enable and network authentication set to enable. when i try to reset the settings its stuck on them and cannot change a thing. Having to currently disable 5g wifi :(
Not sure what to do now?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

BigT37 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:51 pm Hi thanks for response. I tried a factory reset and did this through internet explorer and I have the same problem with 5g guest network as soon as I try to change the password it jumps to wps>enable and network authentication set to enable. when i try to reset the settings its stuck on them and cannot change a thing. Having to currently disable 5g wifi :(
Not sure what to do now?
Try downgrading the firmware and see if that helps. (as I can't replicate your issue here)

Attached is older firmware
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.