Block Internet Traffic for user - wifi & ethernet.

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
stevebez

Block Internet Traffic for user - wifi & ethernet.

Post by stevebez »

So I think MAC address filtering should be the way to do this but it can be a bit of a struggle trying to find the device you need to block's MAC address - its someone device will have multiple - on for each connection hardware / protocol. E.g.. the wifi card will have one the ethernet card will have one etc.

Is there a more holistic means of turning internet off by schedule as you can do for wifi time schedule?

Any suggestions? maybe firewall block?

Thanks
billion_fan

Re: Block Internet Traffic for user - wifi & ethernet.

Post by billion_fan »

stevebez wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:06 am So I think MAC address filtering should be the way to do this but it can be a bit of a struggle trying to find the device you need to block's MAC address - its someone device will have multiple - on for each connection hardware / protocol. E.g.. the wifi card will have one the ethernet card will have one etc.

Is there a more holistic means of turning internet off by schedule as you can do for wifi time schedule?

Any suggestions? maybe firewall block?

Thanks
Yes this can be done via the firewall, see attached screen shots

1. Setup time schedule rules (for my example I want all devices to have no internet between 8pm to 9am, so we have to setup two rules)
2. Setup two firewall rules, with the source IP set to the entire subnet eg 192.168.1.1~192.168.1.253 (192.168.1.254 excluded as this the routers IP)
3. Set the 'Action' to 'Drop' and tag a time schedule rule to each firewall rule, ( 2 firewall rules for 2 time schedules rules)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevebez

Re: Block Internet Traffic for user - wifi & ethernet.

Post by stevebez »

Thats great .. just what I needed thanks!