Time Schedule control question?

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
harry66

Time Schedule control question?

Post by harry66 »

Hi,

Bit of a silly question but ...

The kids are waking up early and going on the internet etc - turning wifi off is not enough as some of them have ethernet!

On my 8900AX R2 If I want to turn the internet off in my house between e.g. 6:00am and 8:30am every day - is this possible with the Advanced Setup->Managment->Time Schedule feature?

IF so would I just tick the box for each day and set the Start time to 08:30 and end time to 06:00?

Also, assuming the above does work - if I need to restore the internet for some reason during the above time period - how can I do that? Just press the power off/on button on the router?

Thanks!
billion_fan

Re: Time Schedule control question?

Post by billion_fan »

harry66 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:03 pm Hi,

Bit of a silly question but ...

The kids are waking up early and going on the internet etc - turning wifi off is not enough as some of them have ethernet!

On my 8900AX R2 If I want to turn the internet off in my house between e.g. 6:00am and 8:30am every day - is this possible with the Advanced Setup->Managment->Time Schedule feature?

IF so would I just tick the box for each day and set the Start time to 08:30 and end time to 06:00?

Also, assuming the above does work - if I need to restore the internet for some reason during the above time period - how can I do that? Just press the power off/on button on the router?

Thanks!
I wouldn't use the time restriction option as you have to enter the MAC address of each device which can be a pain.

I would use the firewall.

1. First setup a time schedule rule (screen shot attached)
2. Setup a firewall rule with the time schedule tagged, (screen shot attached)
3. If you need to re-enable internet access during 6am~8am, just login to the router and switch the tagged time schedule to 'disable'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Thank you - that looks more like it.

So, this sounds like the Wifi will remain active - they just can't get on the internet. This would be better since the Nest Thermostat probably needs the Wifi in order to communicate with the nest Heatlink device over Wifi - in order to switch on the boiler in the morning. The Google person I spoke to was not entirely convincing when they told me that the schedule control should still work without any wifi.....

Also, could I set up a firewall rule which still allows my Google Security camera and doorbell to continue uploading footage to the cloud during those 2.5hrs - but still stop the kids from surfing the net etc?

Thank you.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

harry66 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:08 pm Thank you - that looks more like it.

So, this sounds like the Wifi will remain active - they just can't get on the internet. This would be better since the Nest Thermostat probably needs the Wifi in order to communicate with the nest Heatlink device over Wifi - in order to switch on the boiler in the morning. The Google person I spoke to was not entirely convincing when they told me that the schedule control should still work without any wifi.....

Also, could I set up a firewall rule which still allows my Google Security camera and doorbell to continue uploading footage to the cloud during those 2.5hrs - but still stop the kids from surfing the net etc?

Thank you.
Yes the wifi will stay active, and internal networking will still work, just no internet connection

Set up another firewall rule IP Filtering Outgoing will the 'Action' set to forward, time time schedule = always on, with your google security camera IP address added to the Source IP address section, (screen shot example attached) finally make sure the drop rule is below the forward rule (very important)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Thank you once again - @billion_fan

You are a star!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

harry66 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:49 am Thank you once again - @billion_fan

You are a star!
Just to make sure, drop rule below the forward rule, (you can setup two forward rules, one for the camera and one for the ring door bell)
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Hi @billion_fan

Thanks for your help with this. I set it up a few days ago and it worked a treat.

As I have several Google nest devices, I just assigned them a sequential fixed IP address and so was able to use a range of IP addresses in a single Outgoing Filter rather than separate ones for each device.

The one minor thing I could not do was ' If you need to re-enable internet access during 6am~8am, just login to the router and switch the tagged time schedule to 'disable'' as suggested.
There is no disable checkbox in the Outgoing filter section
billionout.png
Also, under Time schedule I don't see a disable option - just delete?
billiontime.png
Can you advise how to disable it temporarily?
Thanks
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Sorry please ignore the final question - I can see there is a Time Schedule dropdown value of Disable if I edit the IP Filter.
Thanks.